1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Locals without B Band Converter?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DARG, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARG

DARG New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Hi. New here. I just upgraded to Hi def and have installed the AT9 5 lnb dish and have an H20 receiver. I wasn't sure about whether the B Band converter included with the Receiver was necessary so initially I never installed it. Everything was and is working fine INCLUDING receiving my locals in HD through the direct TV dish and receiver. After a week I decided to check into it what the B band converter was for and find out that I am supposed to need this to get the locals in HD over the AT9. I called DirecTV and 2 techs say that I should NOT be getting the locals through the Dish and Receiver without the convertor, yet I am. There is no OTA in the system and the locals are 100% definitely working and in HD without the B band convertor.

So, my question is what gives? I assume that there must be a built in convertor somewhere in the receiver or built in Multiswitch at the dish, right? But DirecTV themselves as well as every thing I see on the net says no, a convertor is not built in and I must use the B Band converter. So unless they are wrong and there is a built in convertor somewhere (or an FTM? if I read that correctly), what is going on?

Why can I receive the locals, and in HD to boot, WITHOUT using that supplied converter? again, there is definitely NO off air antenna installed either. Also, the H20 Receiver has a sticker on back indicating that it was manufactured in 2005 so my H20 is not from a new production run.

Thanks in advance for an explanation or any ideas.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Right now... only in a few select areas, the HD locals are comming in on the frequency that needs to be shifted via the B-Band converter.

So it is VERY possible that you are not in one of those areas (like me), and thus not having any issues without the B-Band converter.

Don't "lose" that B-Band converter, as when they launch the new sats next year, you will probably need it.

3. DARG

DARG New Member

Aug 28, 2006

Makes perfect sense, thanks Earl. Not at all surprising that Directv didn;t have the answer.

One more question if you dont mind. Is there any harm in just going ahead and putting the B band converter in the signal path right now? That way I wont end up losing it and I will be all set if they change my area in the future. Will it affect any other channels or anything else if I use it now evernthough I don't need it now?

Thanks.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You probably should install it--they may move some channels between different satellites/transponders even before the new satellites are launched. If it isn't needed, it will automatically will be bypassed (inside the assembly).

5. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    It shouldn't affect anything. I didn't have mine attached when I started getting HD locals via satellite and they came in fine. I also thought the samething you did about it and called Directv and asked about it. They told me the samething and that I should attach it. So, I did and still do and it is not affecting anything. I have very little problems with my H20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.