1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the Job Done! Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, U.S. Army; 'A John Wayne Dude'

Discussion in 'The OT' started by BuckeyeChris, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 5, 2005 #1 of 33
    BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    Leading the U.S. Army First Division, Lt. Gen. Russel Honore has become my hero for his kick-ass, get the job done attitude in the disaster recovery.

It also doesn't hurt that he just gave a joint press conference, along with the Homeland Security Secretary, in which he told a reporter that a congressman's statements was "B.S.!" He said B.S. several times. :p (Does anyone know the context of his answer, and the congressman to whom he was referring?)

When asked by a female reporter if New Orleans was secure, he answered (paraphrasing):

Honore: Have you been in New Orleans recently?
    Reporter: Yes
    Honore: Were you accosted?
    Reporter: No
    Honore: Then I don't see why security is still such an issue!

I bet Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff was taken back at the General's bravado. But when Gen. Honore excused himself and said he was leaving, as Chertoff was beginning to say something, Chertoff said that he too was leaving because this press conference was finished.

Chertoff didn't looked upset. On the contrary, he looked relieved because the General had said what he wanted to say. But because of politics, he couldn't. The General, however, appears not to give a damn about politics. Quite refreshing!

This is the kind of press conference that I like to see. :D

Attached Files:

2. Sep 5, 2005 #2 of 33
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Less talk and more walk. I like him too.

3. Sep 5, 2005 #3 of 33
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    I'd vote for him, and I don't even have a clue from which side of the isle he resides because he is obviously more clued in than people from either side.

4. Sep 5, 2005 #4 of 33
    bobsupra

bobsupra Work In Progress DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 12, 2002
    Minor correction (but it is important to those who care), LTG Honore is over the First Army, not 1st Division. The First Army is one of two continental commands responsible for coordination of army reserve matters.

He is one hell of a dude, native of LA, and a take charge guy.

5. Sep 5, 2005 #5 of 33
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    :listenup: Git-R-Done, General - you lead, they'll follow or we'll kick some major butt :kickbutt: We've got your back, and the beer is on the guys and gals in Gold Forum when when this thing is over. :goodjob:

:alterhase Smoke 'em if you got 'em! !pride

6. Sep 5, 2005 #6 of 33
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Given the context of the situation, he appears to be exactly the politically incorrect, take-charge kind of guy needed for the job. And being a "local" won't hurt either.

Isn't Honore a french name though?:D;)

7. Sep 5, 2005 #7 of 33
    bobsupra

Jul 12, 2002
    While Honore is of French deviation, the good general is Cajun through and through. His accent gives it away. But I'll bet he can swear in French also.

8. Sep 5, 2005 #8 of 33
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    His picture reminds me of the Iraqi Minister of (Mis)Information. I don't know why...maybe the silly black beret. Either way, he definitely appears to be in charge down there.

9. Sep 5, 2005 #9 of 33
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Not familiar with the term. Does that mean he's into bondage? S&M? Or just French ticklers!;):lol:

10. bobsupra

Jul 12, 2002
    It means I have fat fingers (and a weird spell checker).

11. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    :lol:

It was just too perfectly a fruedian straight line to pass up.:blush:

12. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    While many will probably think its ultimately a bad solution, perhaps militarizing future catastrophes is the way to handle things. The military, if anything, does have a solid chain of command and things ordered at the top usually get done.

Katrina, if anything, illustrates the weakness of a bureaucratic system with far too many bosses and layers.

13. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Teo words Danny Posse Comitatus. 20/20 hindsight is great but there are certain prices associated with using the guard unbder federal control. Hard to imagine that it could ahve been worse here. But in many cases that eould bea valid concern.

14. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Posse Comitatus

Yes, I'm aware of current law. Obviously I'm talking about changing the way things in the future are organized. Strong central control during emergencies is absolutely needed, and wasn't available here. Short term political leaders are compromised by too many factors that perhaps a military commander could ignore.

The primary fear I believe is that of a military coupe d'etat. I'm not certain thats valid today however as it might have been earlier in our nation's history.

15. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Well we would have to change the law. And that would be quite the hornet's nest. The primary fear was nota coup d'etat BTW.

16. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    You got that right, and the Chief hit on the biggest problem. I am amazed that we haven't heard more about Posse Comitatus in all this.

17. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    In Louisiiana it was mentioned. I have no idea what the popualtiona sa whole thought of it before and after. And I would not trust any polls staken right now either.

18. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    In Louisiana it was mentioned. I have no idea what the popualtion asa whole thought of it before and after. And I would not trust any polls staken right now either.

Somehow I don't think that the 4 thread train wreck of the last few days really lent itself to a discussion of the historical, legal and cultural significance of Posse Comitatus.

19. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, because of the history behind the enactment of Posse Comitatus, I would suspect that we would have heard much more about it if the feds had just gone in.

20. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I tried and brought it up in it's own thread quite some time ago. That thread is now somewhere down at the bottom of the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.