1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GI JOE 2, Delayed to be 3D Converted

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Earl Bonovich, May 23, 2012.

1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=24940&count=0

I've been looking forward to GI JOE 2 since, the trailers hit about 6 months ago. From the trailers it looks like they were going to do it right this time... The scense for the martial arts and the sword work look awsome.

It was set to release in about 4 weeks.
    In fact, just before Avengers it had a long extended trailer promoting it.

But now... it was just announced, it being pulled for 9 months... so it can be converted to 3D.

First... if the movie wasn't filmed in 3D, Directed for 3D, conceptualized in 3D... it is going to be absolutely garbage in 3D.. (3D itself in my opinion is so overrated).

Second... How much is it going to cost you to "covert" to 3D, vs all the re-advertising/promotion you are going to have to do in 9 months... As you basically just totally wasted everything in the last 6 months promoting it.

Third.... 3D in general... The reason why you see the uptake in 3D viewership, is SD Options are less available. Avengers in my area, was in 2D on 1 screen out of the 4 available. It's not that people want to see it in 3D, you are not giving them a choice, and are raking in the extra $3-$5 per ticket.

ARG!!!!!!!!!

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Sure they are, just wait for the Blu Ray release. I've been doing that for nearly 10 years (3 years Blu Ray, 7 years DVD).

3. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Very true... I have done that significantly over the last decade.

But there are handfull of movies that I look forward to each year, to make it a date night or guys night.... Avengers, GI Joe, Batman, and SpiderMan are this years...

We also had a Martial Arts Demo night scheduled for the release weekend (booth in the lobby showing off the school).

4. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    We have date night right in our own theater - much better than the public theater.

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    We do that too, but sometimes it is just nice to get out...
    We don't do it often, but... GI Joe wasn't a date night one either.

I am not sure what I am more ticked about... the delay, or the fact they are going to ruin the movie with 3D.

Paramount screwed up the Last Avatar when it pushed it to 3D (over 30 minutes of the movie was removed)

6. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm more bummed about the delay (even longer to get to Blu Ray). I watch the occasional movie on 3D at home, but I could probably do without it.

7. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I hope all theaters don't convert 100% to 3D. Granted, I don't go out to the movies all that much, but once in awhile there's a movie I do want to go and see. I'll probably see The Hobbit this December-IF I can find it in 2D. I can't see simulated 3D.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I hate this stuff. I'm done with 3D in general. I saw Tron in 3D, and was fine with it. That worked for me. Other than that, 2D only please.

9. weevil6772

weevil6772 New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I only dislike the post conversion 3d. Most of it isn't nearly the quality of films shot in 3d.