1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Giro d'Italia

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by wjanowski, May 3, 2013.

1. wjanowski

wjanowski Mentor

Jan 15, 2008
    If I'm getting this right, Giro d'Italia this year is on something called Bein Sports, and I've got to cough up $12.95 for a full sports package loaded with channels I never watch to get it? Guess I'll do without this year.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yep. Though last year, the Tour of Utah was worse. It was aired on Fox Sports, and to get it in HD, I would have had to get the Sports Pack. Otherwise, it would just be SD.

At least the Giro is a long race. Cyclingnews.com usually has pretty good coverage though.

It will be streamed also, though I know that doesn't help most people, at beinsport.tv.

3. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    Yes to get Bein Sports (Ch. 620) you have to subscribe to the sports pack.
    I don't watch any other channel either. At least I get pro cycling, soccer,
    world superbike and motocross racing in hd and broadcast european style.
    Very pricy but at least it is available. Couldn't find this channel on Cox cable
    or AT&T.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think we're going to skip the Giro, watch the Tour of California and save the big watching for the TdF.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If it's that important you can sign up for the sports pack for one month and then turn it back off. It's not like you have to keep the sports pack for a whole year or something.

6. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    It is taking some getting used to the announcers, but the picture quality on BeIn Sports is much better than what we had for the past several years on Universal Sports (which also requires the Sports Package and is not in HD). Universal Sports has had several cycling events already this year and will have many more throughout the season including the Vuelta a Espana.

Jan. 21-27, Tour de San Luis
    Feb. 24, Kuurne-Brussels-Kurn
    March 18-24, Volta Ciclista a Catalunya
    22-Mar Grand Prix E3 Harelbeke
    March 26-28, Three Days of De Panne
    April 1-6, Tour of Basque Country
    1-May, Eschborn-Frankfurt City Loop
    May 1-5, Four Days of Dunkerque
    May 22-26, Tour of Belgium
    May 25-27, USA Pro Cycling Championships
    August 12-18, Eneco Tour
    August 24-25, USA Pro Cycling Challenge – Stages 6 & 7
    Aug. 24 – Sept. 15, Vuelta a España
    1-Sep, GP Plouay
    Sept. 15-22,, Tour of Britain
    Sept. 18, GP Wallonie
    Sept. 24–25 & 28–29, Road Cycling World Championships

If you are a cycling fan, then the Sports Pack is a must. I just wish we would get Universal Sports in HD before the Vuelta.

7. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Agreed. I have had Sports Pack for several years now. A bit pricey, but the cycling coverage is good on Universal Sports, even if the picture is crappy. BeIN sports pictures of the Giro and Italy are stunning in HD! As mentioned previously, if you love cycling, then just get the Sports Pack for one month and enjoy the visuals.