1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glad I only have a two-year commitment

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tstarn, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 7, 2006 #1 of 27
    tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
  2. Nov 7, 2006 #2 of 27
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Tom, Send me a private email and I think we can get you out of your contract today. - Craig

EDIT:
    I know that you have been miserable since you got your HR-20. That is why I offer to help you return it.

As to this article, there have been statements in the press for 10 years that D* would not be able to compete with cable and most popularly now the Telcos.

D* is on track for the 150 HD nationals for next year. The next satelite already went up on Oct 13th.

For the past two quarters D*'s gross and profits have been up by double digits:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-earnings

We can only guess about tomorrow.

For today, I have the best picture, best resolution, and best performance I have ever had. I still cannot believe how good the sound is now. The SD's are so much clearer now and the color so much more true. I am sorry that you have had such a miserable time.

Take care,

Craig

3. Nov 7, 2006 #3 of 27
    upnorth

upnorth Godfather

Jun 21, 2006
  4. Nov 7, 2006 #4 of 27
    mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    Link not working for me.

5. Nov 7, 2006 #5 of 27
    glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I don't think it's to smart to jump ship over an article someone wrote.
    :rolleyes:

6. Nov 7, 2006 #6 of 27
    tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    First, my headline was admittedly a little screwy. It should have read: "I guess my two-year commitment may turn out to be a moot point."

But the post was a little experiment in how people overreact on this thread. Really. I got Mr. Mindbender offering to get me out of my commitment (I didn't really ask for his help, so he can go back to his part-time job of creating the ultimate HR20 manual), and people also telling me not to jump ship over an article. I'm not jumping ship nor do I want out of my commitment. In fact, my HR20 is working (last time I checked).

I was just pointing out that all this debating/fighting over the HR20 may be a moot point at some future date if, in fact, the sat providers succumb to the pressure from cable. That's all. No great shakes or desire to leave D* at this time. It's a possibility, of course, that D* and E* just may not be able to compete in the long haul, and the article just brings that possibility into the debate over the future delivery of video/cell/Internet to people's homes.

So you can all lighten up now. And Milo, by all means, you can go back to your beloved hobby. Believe me, when I need your help, I will certainly ask for it.

7. Nov 7, 2006 #7 of 27
    upnorth

upnorth Godfather

Jun 21, 2006
    Both D* and E* will be around for along time Cable cannot get out to the rural & remote areas. I can't even get DSL in my area for petes sake and they say do not expect it soon if at all. Wireless maybe a future option we will have to wait and see what the future may bring.;)

This probably does not belong in this thread as it has nothing to do with the HR20 so maybe they will move it to where it belongs.

8. Nov 7, 2006 #8 of 27
    bluedogok

bluedogok Godfather

Sep 8, 2006
    Especially including those with opinions from "analysts" who might have other agendas.

9. Nov 7, 2006 #9 of 27
    HaiChinGow

HaiChinGow AllStar

Oct 4, 2006

Decaf can be a viable alternative. I don't see where he said he was miserable or wanted to return his HR20.

I am glad that you have had a good experience with your HR20, many others have not shared your experience or enthusiasm over the beta release.

10. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Seems like you overreacted to the replies you got. Really. Telling people you didn't ask for their help, saying when I need your help I will certainly ask for it, etc.. Maybe you should lighten up buddy boy. :rolleyes:

11. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    Nothing worse than use of the term "buddy boy." Ugh.

In that specific post on the HR 20, I didn't mention a word about dropping D* or being miserable with the HR20. What makes me miserable are the personal attacks on people just for having a different opinion/experience of the HR20 and/or D*.

I just got a kick out of the seriousness of the quick responses. And under no circumstances will I call you buddy boy.

12. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    Are you sure you aren't reading that last graph from a D* marketing brochure?

Again, miserable isn't my experience right now, but certainly it may be used to describe some other people's experience with the HR20. For now, my HR20 is working, two workarounds later (and not sure how long they will hold up.). Early on, I had major issues, now I have minor ones. But your patronizing tone is why I responded the way I did.

As for D*, quarterly earnings aside (and they mean little in the long haul), to what do you attribute Murdoch's "turd" description of said company? Was he having a bad day? And why is he reportedly trying to sell/trade it to John Malone? Why dump such a high-performing company? You probably know the answers, since you have complete faith in D* to be around well into the future.

13. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    So move the thread. Won't bother me.

Rural and remote areas? Sure, D* has them all wrapped up. But the desirable sub numbers are in the densely populated areas, where cable and (perhaps soon) telcos will be sure to turn up the competitive heat. That's all the article is saying. If D* has to depend on those rural and remote subs to sustain their competitive edge, they'll be in sad shape.

14. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I think Rupert called them "Turd Bird" to be accurate.

I don't often agree with him but I am getting on board with that one. :D

15. RJC49

RJC49 Mentor

Oct 15, 2006
    Why waste everbodys time? They were trying to help and you shoved it up their butt.

16. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    Trying to help me what? Believe me, if I wanted to get out of my commitment with D*, I could handle it myself. And I didn't ask for anyone's help, nor did I express being miserable or needing any help. In fact, my original post was just a link to the article. Nothing was even in the body of the post, but I did mess up the headline, as I already admitted. That was just an attempt by Mr. Mindbender to be condescending. But you missed that, right?

And exactly whose time did I waste? I posted a link. I just had a feeling it would turn into another "D*fender?" issue. It did, albeit on a minor level.

17. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Since when? They may be better than last year, but they still are no where near 1994-97's SD quality.:(

18. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Tom,

I know that you were concered about what how today's Q3 results might effect you. Here you go!

Posted on Wed, Nov. 08, 2006

DirecTV Q3 Profit Nearly Quadruples

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) --Satellite television broadcaster DirecTV Group Inc. said Wednesday its third-quarter profit nearly quadrupled, driven by higher revenue and a lower rate of customer defection.

Shares of the company controlled by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. rose 48 cents, or 2.2 percent, to $22.32 in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Its earnings surged to $370 million, or 30 cents per share, in the three months ended Sept. 30, up from $95 million, or 7 cents per share, in the year-ago period.

Revenue rose 13 percent to $3.67 billion from $3.23 billion last year.

The results surpassed Wall Street's consensus estimates of 27 cents per share on revenue of $3.61 billion, according to Thomson Financial.

DirecTV added 165,000 net subscribers at its core U.S. unit in the period. Gross subscriber additions fell 9 percent. Average monthly churn rate, a measurement of the pace of customer defection, edged lower to 1.8 percent from 1.89 percent last year.

Average monthly revenue per subscriber rose to $72.74 from $68.65. Last year, DirecTV began targeting customers less likely to miss their monthly payments and more likely to purchase extra services such as high definition and pay-per-view broadcasts.

- - - -

The sky is not falling! (nor the satellites)

2005 set records for D* and each quarter this year has seen double digit growth.

I don't know of many other large companies doing so well.

You can sleep well tonight!

- Craig

19. dorkzilla

dorkzilla New Member

Nov 8, 2006
    I signed up just to say people like you are worthless. Someone offered to help you but you are special. People like you always get laughed at when something bad happens:nono2: to you. Wish I knew your fake friends so I could laugh too.

20. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    Think I give a rat's butt what you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.