1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global Bacon Shortage ‘Unavoidable’

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cj9788, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    "Record droughts in the US and Russia are threatening to curtail the world’s bacon supply, farmers in the US and Europe are warning.

So dire is the situation that a world shortage of pork and bacon is “unavoidable” next year, according to Britain’s National Pig Association. And in the US farmers predict pork prices will hit new highs in 2013 as farmers cut back on production due to soaring feed costs.

Across Europe swine herds are shrinking. Ireland’s farmers cut their herd 6.6% in the 12 months to June 2012, Denmark’s fell 2.3%, Germany, Europe’s largest pork producer, cut back 1.3% and there were cuts in countries including Spain, France, Italy, Hungary and Poland.

In the US the cost of bringing home the bacon has almost doubled since 2006, according to economist Steve Meyer at Paragon Economics, and an adviser to the National Pork Producers Council. Consumption is falling as less pork is produced and prices rise, down from 50.8lbs per person per year in 2007 to a predicted 44.16lbs in 2013."

I will go insane if bacon,ham, & pork chop prices go through the roof. Big staple in our house.

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    At around $5/lb, I haven't been buying bacon anyways. But I'm big on roasts and chops and country ribs when I can find deals.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well, we certainly hope not.

One solution is to grow your own -- why don't we all start a pig farm, else we be forced to put pork in a category with truffles and cavier.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I won't go insane, but I'll certainly not be very happy with much higher pork prices, especially since beef prices are at their horrid levels too. And I won't even mention the price of chicken... :(

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Anyone else see a trend here? The future isn't what it used to be...

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Soylent green anyone? :)

7. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    We keep an eye out for sales where we can get a whole (6-8lb) pork loin for $1.99 per pound, then cut it into a roast or two and a bunch of nice, thick, center-cut boneless pork chops, and freeze them individually. Bacon is mostly a weekend treat, so we could forgo it. Our arteries would probably thank us...

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gave up on looking at food prices a long time ago. Too much sticker shock. I can remember feeding a family of four when only making a couple bucks an hour. Now, I can't get a single full paper bag of normal groceries for what I paid for a week's worth of food back then.

The future is higher and higher prices, obviously. I do enjoy a good ham occasionally and I like bacon, but I can't tolerate the rest of the pork products. Upsets my tummy, it does.

Rich

9. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    To paraphrase something my dad used to say - "$100 for groceries? That's outrageous. When I was a lad, there wasn't a man alive who could lift $100 worth of groceries. Now it fits in your glove compartment."

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Just got back from the grocery store, and found out that not only are we going to see an increase in the price of the bacon, the eggs already increased! Price today was $2.29/dozen about $.50 higher than last week.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wise man, your father. When you're making two bucks an hour, $25 for groceries for a week was the norm.

Rich

12. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Even I can remember when a six-pack of beer was less than $2 and a pack of cigarettes could be found for $0.35 (machines charged $0.45 though.) A movie ticket was $2, and gas was $0.50 a gallon for leaded. McDonald's hamburgers were $0.15 ($0.17 with cheese), and there was no such thing as a Big Mac.