1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM-Chrysler: What would you toss?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Stuart Sweet, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1 of 135
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It looks like the deal merging GM and Chrysler will happen by hook or by crook, so it's time to start speculating... what would you keep and what would you toss?

2. Oct 28, 2008 #2 of 135
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Keep:
    • Cadillac
    • Chevrolet
    • Chevy Truck
    • Saturn
    • Chrysler
    • Jeep
    Specifically must keep:
    • Corvette
    • CTS
    • Suburban
    • Viper
    • Camaro
    • Challenger (yes, keep both)
    • Sprinter
    • Wrangler
    • Sky
    Specifically must toss:
    • PT Cruiser
    • Cobalt
    • Lucerne
    • DTS
    • Trailblazer
    • Astro
    • Express

3. Oct 28, 2008 #3 of 135
    woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    why are you keeping all the fuel inefficent vehicles. What do you think got them into this situation in the first place? (not counting uinion contracts - pensions, health care)

Why toss the Trail Blazer? it's a mid sized Sport Utility, convert it to Hybrid or something and it could do well.

4. Oct 28, 2008 #4 of 135
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Why am I keeping the inefficient ones? Show me the efficient ones :lol:

I chose those vehicles that have at least a dash of style to them. Those vehicles, which could at least be identified from a distance, are worth keeping and making more efficient. I do think Volt should stay too, but it's not out yet.

I think with all that excess capacity GM/Chrysler should produce quality, stylish, efficient American cars for American tastes, not bland, gas-guzzling trash.

Until recently you would not have found a more loyal American car buyer than I. Except for one Honda (which treated me well) I bought nothing but American. Then I saw how Lexus runs its company and now I know why the Americans are in trouble.

5. Oct 28, 2008 #5 of 135
    Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    Absoutely MUST Keep under no circumstances:
    The plans for the Chevy Volt.

That CAR is the first SERIOUSLY designed from the ground up, true alternative fuel car. Not a tweak, hybrid of something existing (the Prius does also come close to this).
    Everything that has been shared about the VOLT so far is simply amazing, and the only downside is that the demand is go to far out exceed the supply, and allow the dealers to searious jack up the overhead price.

Corvette vs Viper: Keep the Corvette.
    While the Viper is a fantastic car; The Corvette caries a much larger name recognition for the consumer and can easily be made in a variety of ways to appeal to the $$ of the customers.

Camero vs Charger: I would lean towards the Charger, simply because if you keep the Vette then the low end Vette is an expensive Camero. The Charger gives a different option with the HEMI line and other options.

Cadilac and Chrysler lines could be merged.

Chevy Trucks should be merged with Dodge Trucks.

Pontiac and Buic... I think their days are numbered.

Saturn will definently continue, since their sales model and general appeal of the car is a plus.

Hummer should go over to the Jeep aspect and become that "sector".

Has to Go:
    I can't really disagree with any of the ones on the list stuart listed.

Chrysler's Town and Country is a much better mini-van, and is definently one that needs to stay around.

As for the fuel efficency: Across the board, all vehicals need to be more fuel efficient. But you can't eliminate a lot of those vehicals as they do have practical needs. Families do need larger vehicals, and even car-pools need larger vehicals.

6. Oct 28, 2008 #6 of 135
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'd dump the Hummer, Cobalt, Aztec, Dodge Rams (The Chevy and GMC trucks are more reliable), PT Cruiser, Durango for starters. GMC is already looking to dump the Hummer line.
    Keepers:Chevy, Saturn, Chrysler cars and minivans, Caddy (although some models could be dropped), most Pontiac and Dodge cars. Buick is kinda tough - it's a proud line of cars that still appeals to upper middle class folks.

7. Oct 28, 2008 #7 of 135
    cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    Dump them all and let GM/Chrysler die a noble death.

8. Oct 28, 2008 #8 of 135
    Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    Not the opinion of families with people that work at Chrysler. They are offering my dad a buyout option or a part retirement package right now. He's thinking of taking it since things look so shaky.

9. Oct 28, 2008 #9 of 135
    dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Dump them all if my tax money goes to bail them out.

Business's that make bad financial decisions should be chopped up and made smaller not made larger.

10. Oct 28, 2008 #10 of 135
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    There are still a number of things that have to happen to actually trigger this event. It's all about cash and cash flow in this industry.

I would suspect that if and when this happens....the lowest margin and sales products would be the first to go, followed by the gas guzzlers second.

11. Oct 29, 2008 #11 of 135
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    They have to get rid of Hummer. The only Hummer that was even close to the capabilities of even the most lowly optioned Jeep Wrangler was the H1. The H2 is a glorified Tahoe (they could kill the H2 and let teh Tahoe and Grand Cherokee share the space) and the H3... Well, I will just say it is not a good car to avoid being banned.

They would be silly to mess with the Wrangler as the owners are super loyal and whenever they run deals, the Wrangler is usually not included because they do not need to include it. Only in the worst of times have you been able to get a financing deal otr significant money off up front on Wrangler.

12. Oct 29, 2008 #12 of 135
    ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Pretty sure the PT is already slated for disposal.

Drop the Charger, there are other cars in the lineup that can replace it and it's more than a little bland by comparison.

Drop the Aspen. It wants to be an Escalade, but isn't.

13. Oct 29, 2008 #13 of 135
    dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    MUST KEEP: The GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave. Could dump the Saturn and Chevy versions ...

I bought a GMC Acadia earlier this year and I have to say - it's -- by far -- the best vehicle I've ever owned. Fuel efficiency for such a big vehicle is excellent -- 21mpg or so. Not bad for an 8-passenger vehicle.

These are well-designed, well-built vehicles... It really pains me to see this trouble since GM has finally turned a corner in quality.

Look at the Chevy Malibu. One of the best everyday vehicles to come out of Detroit in the last 20 years.

There are so many quality GM vehicles now - Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice, Cadillac CTS, Chevy Malibu/Saturn Aura, the Camaro, Corvette, Acadia/Enclave, and even yes, dare I say it, the Tahoe. There are people who still need large vehicles like that, and none of them are better than the Tahoe.

14. Oct 29, 2008 #14 of 135
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Toss - All the execs who have been fighting against alternative fuel powered cars / trucks.

15. Oct 29, 2008 #15 of 135
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I see what you're saying, to which I reply, first get rid of one of the two vehicles in any of those slash/pairs. There is not enough market share for GM to compete with itself. Back in 1970, that may have been true but it is not now.

16. Oct 29, 2008 #16 of 135
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Buick won't go because it's the #1 brand in China. It's an incredible status symbol to have a black Buick, apparently.

17. Oct 29, 2008 #17 of 135
    ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Realistically, drop one from ANY of the multi-brand cars, liek Durango/Aspen, 300/Charger, Sebring/Avenger, etc.

18. Oct 29, 2008 #18 of 135
    dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Agreed! I didn't mean to imply that they should keep both, but that one or the other should be picked.

In cases such as the Acadia/Enclave, there's a bit of differentiation so there might be a case to keep both .... maybe. Sort of like Nissan v. Infiniti.

19. Oct 29, 2008 #19 of 135
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Combine Dodge Trucks and GMC Trucks sorting out the profitable models from the losers maybe doing something like making the diesel versions under one brand, utility vans under another. Make far fewer light trucks and no SUV's under these brands.

Keep a line of Chevy light trucks and Caddy brand SUV's, as the Chevy truck brand is "Like a Rock" on the American landscape and the Escalade brand is now in urban folklore. You have to take advantage of existing marketing images.

A difficult part of this nationally would be the impact on dealerships as they get sorted out.

Buick China is not a long term problem. There are many brands of autos not manufactured or sold in the U.S.

20. Oct 29, 2008 #20 of 135
    SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    But with Nissan vs. Infiniti, it is very obvious that Infiniti is the upper line. And, Infiniti does not eat from Nissan's sales directly. I own the new G35 and have a friend that sells Infiniti, she says the customer classes are quite different. With Chevy, Saturn, GMC, Buick.....you see basically the same vehicle around the same price, like the Enclave, Acadia, Outlook and whatever the other is called. That's just one example of the same vehicle being repeated like 4 times, I'm not too familiar with GM, but maybe Caddy has a model similar to that vehicle too?!? I don't know.