1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go back to Directv? PQ questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jman812, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jman812

jman812 New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Minneapolis
    Just switched 10 days ago to Comcast due mostly to cost consideration. I was generally happy with the directv setup I had. It was a HR22-100 HD DVR box. (had 2 coax cables in from the antenna) For Comcast, I was setup with Internet/Cable only. I have the STD HD DVR box they offer. (RNG200N) This box has very archaic menus to say the least. The new Comcast setup in my area only allows for the X1 box if signing up for the triple play. They said as soon as more X1's are available I will get one no charge.

Here is my question: Is the directv HD signal better than the Comcast, or is it a box issue? Or maybe the compression that is used? I ask because since changing, I am seeing PQ issues. Mainly a grainy picture most of the time, but also pixelation during fast action, or dark scenes. It is nod bad, most would probably not notice, but I work with large format printing occasionally, and seem to see these things easily. I am looking at local news and Football games as comparison to what I remember having the last few years with DTV. Specifically, I was watching the Walking Dead on Sunday, and the picture was definitely worse than the same TV with Directv. Maybe it's just operator error :shrug:

Thanks for your time,
    'J

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    The Directv picture quality is even across the board, whereas Comcast varies by locality. My Mom lives in Ft Lauderdale. Her picture quality is very good, on a par with Directv. It may be very different where you are.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    In my area DirecTV's HD quality is better than Comcast's.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    As studechip says, Comcast quality varies by location; in some places it is very good, in other places poor. That's the norm for all cable companies, because each area has its own system - there is no national "Comcast".. DirecTV has the same PQ everywhere (with the exception of locals, which have several variables).

In my area the local cable company is Time Warner - the SD channel PQ is better than DirecTV, the HD quality noticeably worse.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Same with TWC here, HD noticably worse, and takes up more space on the DVR, as they use MPEG2.

Did you fully cancel, or suspend? If you cancelled you can always wait for a come back offer if you decide the reduced quality is too much for the savings.

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Short of OTA or Verizon FiOS, I'd be surprised if any MSO has better PQ than DirecTV's. Here in NY, sitting 10-12 feet away from a 65" 1080p screen, DirecTV PQ is comparable to OTA from the Empire State Building transmitter in NY, which is good as broadcast PQ can get, AFAIK. I have to sit 8' or closer to see the difference between OTA and DirecTV's MPEG-4. I've got 20-20 vision.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Some motion artifacts can be the "fault" of the TV; some handle it way better than others.
    Your own eyes will be the best test, and you may be able to back out of the Comcast deal within a certain period of time, maybe not.
    Welcome to DBSTalk, and good luck!

8. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Already answered above about cable variation. The only answer I can give you for certain is that Directv is better than Dish.

9. jman812

jman812 New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Minneapolis
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. I am still within the 30 day comcast window, and directv is still calling making offers. I might just take them up on it the next time.

Next Question: Is there a specific box difference? Again, I had the HR22-100 HD DVR box , and only have one tv I use at the moment. I definitely want a HD DVR box, the old one seemed to fill up easily. Maybe need to add on an external HDD? Now, it looks like the Menu's on the Genie appear to be real nice. But it seems as though those are reserved for multiple tv's ?

J

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can have a Genie on a single TV account. If you do get an offer to return, I would insist on a Genie. Twice the size hard drive as the HR22, and 5 tuners rather than 2.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The GUI on the Genie is the same as that of the HDDVRs (HR2x) series

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Whole home service is required even for a single tv setup with a genie. It does have a larger external drive support, more than the 2tb. But if the genie fails, the recorded shows can't be played.

How fast does the comxast dvr fill up? On twc here it seems to only hold about 20 hours of hd.

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Moron.

14. jman812

jman812 New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Minneapolis
    Thx all again. Peds48 - the videos I have seen online of the GUI on the genie are diffrent than the hr22 I had 2 weeks ago. Maybe it was not updated ? Dpeters - I do not know on the comcast dvr fill up, just referring to the DTV setup I had.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There are a few differences due to features etc, but pretty much the same. The only hd box on the old interface us the H20.

Were the videos from when the genie first came out? It started in the old ui before catching up to the other boxes.

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app