1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going back to HR10-250

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drewba, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1 of 38
    drewba

drewba Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Three months ago, we replaced an HR10-250 with an HR21 and added another HR21 in our bedroom. Since that time, my wife has been in mourning over her lost TiVo (I'm only partially kidding). She has now decided that she's willing to give up the extra HD and DOD to have the TiVo back.

My questions:
    1) Since we'd still have DirecTV service active, would disabling one HR21 and activating the owned HR10-250 generate any termination fees or extend our committment?
    2) If the HR21 is deactivated, would we still have a period to watch the shows before it has to be returned to DirecTV or does it just stop working?
    3) There are some sort of adapter on the satellite cable before it enters the HR21. I didn't have those previously, but the dish was also replaced. Do I still use those with the TiVo?

Thanks

2. Nov 6, 2008 #2 of 38
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    1) no

2) I'm pretty sure you can watch recorded content without it being connected to a sat, not sure if it's inactive. Either way, you only get about a couple of weeks before they expect it returned and only a few days once you get the recovery box.

3) you don't need the bbc's (small plastic boxes with cable tail) for the HR10, don't know that they'd hurt, but they're definitely useless on that unit

3. Nov 6, 2008 #3 of 38
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    1st 2 you would have to call directv..
    last one: just hook the cables straight to the reciever bbcs (little boxes) go with the HR21 only..

4. Nov 7, 2008 #4 of 38
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Keep in mind that the MPEG2 HD on the Sat will be going away .. possibly early next year. You will of course be able to record OTA HD with the HR10-250.

5. Nov 7, 2008 #5 of 38
    miggo

miggo AllStar

Feb 28, 2007
    The other thing is once deactivated you will have to return the units. When the stop the MPEG2 transmissions, if you want HD again, they will make you pay for them again. Just food for thought :(

6. Nov 7, 2008 #6 of 38
    rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Since MPEG2 will be gone in less than 6 months maybe you can put some receivers on vacation hold....

7. Nov 7, 2008 #7 of 38
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    If you have an OTA antenna then you can get an awful lot of HD material via the OTA such as I get (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, etc. which is about 80% of my viewing and recording. I then use the HR21-700 to record the other HD material which is MPEG-4 so I can record/watch 4 programs at the same time and I have twice as much storage space.

If you don't have OTA then you will probably want to keep your HR2X DVR.

8. Nov 7, 2008 #8 of 38
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Generally speaking, I believe this to be an accurate statement.

9. Nov 7, 2008 #9 of 38
    Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Before throwing in the towel, are there specific issues that you or your wife are having?

Maybe we can help by addressing the root of the frustration.

Have you reviewed the HD DVR FAQ?

Or the Tivo to HR20 Survival Guide?

10. Mike the MJB

Mike the MJB Cool Member

Jul 7, 2008
    I'm a certified TIVO rube. I still have my HD TIVO running in the basement. Up until the 290 release I have been in the HR-2x "POS" camp. Since the 290 release the unit has improved greatly. My wife and kids have had no complaints. I'm crossing my fingers that it remains stable. I agree with an earlier post - what problems are you having? There are a lot of good people on this site that can help you.
    I have a HR21-100 - currently at release 290.

11. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    Slightly different viewpoint. Could you just call D* to reactivate the HR10? This should only cost you $5/mo. This will give you all the time you need to view existing recordings off the HR2X. You and your wife will have a bit more time to see what happens with the HR2X (MRV, . . .) that might change your mind (HR10 as well if we get specific dates on MPEG2 disappearing). Then you can deactivate which ever receiver is appropriate in a couple of months and only be out $10 - $15 and have a better view of the future. I wouldn't want to return an HR2X, then decide in a few months that I made the wrong choice after having returned the HR2X and have to pay the $99 to $199 again. Just food for thought.

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    That way you would have more space and you could record more programs at the same time and you would have backup in case one of them failed.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You spoke too soon. 029B is being released into the wild.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Which appears to be a simple fix for a couple issues that where being seen in 290

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I say this with the upmost respect... Why on EARTH do you find a Tivo worthy of replacing an HR2X's and all the HD you get with it?

But seriously, whats up? We can help... :D

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    And just exactly what are those couple of issues??? The unwashed and humble masses need to know!!!

17. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
  18. drewba

drewba Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Wow, thanks for all the responses.

There isn't really anything wrong with the HR21, my wife just strongly prefers the TiVo UI. So strongly in fact, that she's willing to give up all the extra HD and DOD. We do get a good OTA signal, so much of what she watches will still be in HD. I figure that if she still feels this way after 3 months, it isn't going change. Hopefully the new DirecTV TiVo will come through next year and render this moot.

As for having both activated, I've thought about that. However, the dish is on the roof and we would need to have an installer put in a multi-switch. It wasn't going to be that much per DirectTV, but when combined with the additional monthly fee, it just wouldn't be worth it to me. If there is something I want to watch in HD, I'll just watch on the other TV with the remaining HR21.

19. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I didn't like the HR2x UI at first easier and I'd still argue that the Tivo interface is more intuitive / easier to learn without any instruction. However, I've gotten used to the HR2x. Frankly I can barely tolerate the slowness of my remaining DirecTivo.

If you haven't, my only suggestion is to read through the FAQ and Tivo users survival guide to the HR20 (both linked in my post above).

One possible solution for you without going through the hassle of the multiswitch install would be to simply hook up all three DVRs for a while, with two of them using a single satellite input. Not ideal for recording potential conflicts, but it only costs $5/mo, doesn't involve additional installation, but would allow you to watch the content you have saved up. This option would also allow for a more direct side-by-side comparison.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    You need to use the guide, and retrain the way you think... I find the new units MUCH more intuitive to use.... Tivo baby feed you all the way, with these units, you can do things quickly...