1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going from SD to HD, will 3-LNB 18x20 dish work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by WalkGood, Sep 25, 2013.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood Cool Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Bought a new HD flat screen TV. Currently have an SD R15/500 with 3-LNB 18" x 20" dish.

Will I need a new dish to get an HD receiver?

If I need a new dish will it need different/additional wiring?

TIA

2. Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman Legend

Dec 13, 2012
    Yes you will need a new dish.

Unless there is something odd with your setup your current wiring will be sufficient.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The new dish will have a larger mounting plate though, so it can't go on the same mount/mast as the existing dish. That might result in needing some new or additional wiring. When the installer shows up, discuss the installation with him before he starts work, make sure you are both in agreement with what is to be done and how it will be done.

Don't remove the old mounting plate from your roof - that results in risk for leaks.

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Don't try this, however;

some of the advanced users here have kludged a 5LNB onto an old 18x20. My garage box is hooked up that way and it works fine, and the cool factor of having HD in the garage is considerable. (I don't get 110 and 119 and don't care)

Just one of MANY fun things I have learned here. Keep in touch and read the informative and excellent posts here!!

:up: :up: :up:

1 person likes this.
  5. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    ....unless the SD dish is recent. since DirecTV went universal mast about two years ago

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The best part is you just call directv for the upgrade and they will come out and install all the new equipment you need.