1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going on vacation.....Should I unplug my 722 DVR?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by showtz, Jun 26, 2008.

1. showtz

showtz Cool Member

Apr 5, 2007
    I'm going on vacation for a week and turning off the A/C in the house. My 722 is in a entertainment center with no doors but it still runs hot. Should I unplug the DVR?

2. Nitro

Nitro Cool Member

Jun 17, 2008
    If you don't care about missing some recorded shows and you want to save a little bit of electricity, its not a bad idea to unplug it.

3. fredp

fredp Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I would definitely do the same and unplug it. One question tho: If you either have a hard line or are IP connected, how long before Dish says you are not connected by a phoneline of any kind so we need to start charging you an extra fee.:confused:

4. showtz

showtz Cool Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Im not worried about recorded shows or electric cost savings. I am mainly concerned about the unit overheating due to no A/C

5. Nitro

Nitro Cool Member

Jun 17, 2008
    I'm sure it would be fine with no a/c (i just moved out of a house with no A/C and our DVR never died), but considering you don't care about recorded shows I see no reason to keep it plugged in.

6. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Not sure why you would completely turn off the A/C. Just set it to a higher temp - maybe 80 or 85. That way it will run occasionally and keep humidity from building up in the house. I always do that. Leave my two 622's on to record a few programs and never have had a problem with them.

7. Jnel

Jnel Cool Member

Jan 16, 2006
    It's also a good idea to shut off the water to your clothes washer, if a hose blows......
    well you know.

8. fredinva

fredinva Legend

May 10, 2006
    Yep, happened to me once!!!

fred
    (btw - VIP 622 Electric usage: $27.74/yr., power on always, used 9 hrs/day)

9. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    You should do that whenever the washer is not in use. That's why they put values there. Washer hoses aren't really designed to be under constant pressure. Won't make much difference if you are away for a day or a week, you'll have one big, expensive mess.