1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to rewire the house for DirecTV (2 outlets in each room)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by corpx, Oct 20, 2009.

1. corpx

corpx AllStar

Sep 7, 2009
    Current setup only has 1 outlet per room, so I thought I'd go ahead and add 2 outlets per room. I'm going to pick up a WB68 off ebay to connect to the back.

My question is about the cables/connectors. I was looking to pick up this dual coax cable to do the wiring. Is that good for DirecTV? What about the connectors on either side? Is there something I am looking for in the RG-6 connectors?

............or should I just wait and pay DirecTV to come upgrade me to SWM (whenever they're ready to upgrade existing customers) ?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Well it says right on the box copper clad steel, so right there I would recommend against using it...it is really recommended that if you are going to put in new wire, you use Solid copper core RG6.

3. AZsatTech

AZsatTech Cool Member

Oct 13, 2009
    The only approved RG6 is perfectvision, solid copper conductor, 60% braid insulation. PPC EX6XL connectors, and F81 connectors.

With that said, as long as you use a high quality, 3Ghz swept tested, solid copper center conductor cable, you should be fine. Make sure to use only F81 barrels/wall plates, and PPC EX6XL connectors.

I have seen bad and/or cheap connectors, and barrels cause problems with satellite reception.

4. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Just a word of advice from one who has wired his whole house with enough coax and Cat5 to hold it down in a F5 tornado...if you are thinking about running two feeds, why not run three, plus a pair of Cat5? That way, you can handle any D* configuration plus OTA, plus LAN connectivity and phone service. :)

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    That would not be recommended coax. It is copper clad steel which doesn't carry the current powering the LNBs very well.

I'm sure someone will find a better buy and post it here (I'll be looking myself, hopefully will post something later tonight.)

For connectors, if you have a compression tool, the bags of 50 connectors (which I'll also post) aren't too bad, as I recall.

Cheers,
    Tom

6. corpx

corpx AllStar

Sep 7, 2009
    I get no real OTA reception here (lots of big trees around the house), but I am doing 2 cat-6 outlets per room as well. Have a 4 port keystone jack and have 2 of each.

7. corpx

corpx AllStar

Sep 7, 2009
  8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
  9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Would it not be cheaper to just get a SWM LNB or SWM8 where you only need one wire per room, and which would be compatible with the DirecTv networking over coax that is coming out soon? Just a thought.

10. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    Unless you really love fishing and pulling cables, I'd recommend getting one of the SWMs. The SWM8 does not require any work on the dish with possible alignment issues if you're worried about that. There's a thread on here and a forum at SolidSignal.com which discusses installation. I bought mine on Ebay.

11. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Thats what I ended up doing, worked out really well. Im not big on OTA so it doesn't bother me.

I got a bag of compression ends from a DirecTV installer and a few barrel connectors. I'm using the barrel connectors that came with the 4 port plates, if I have issues I'll switch out to the "approved" barrels.

12. RCinFLA

RCinFLA Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    Hope you have the compression tool as that will be a large expense.

You can buy the 2.3 GHz bullets pretty cheap from several sources. I changed out all my wall plates with them. If you have to get a compression tool they are cheapest on-line ordering, and probably can get the 2.3 GHz bullets at same place. Also do yourself a favor and get a spin cable strip tool.

Year ago I spent my Christmas vacation pulling about 800 feet worth of RG6 solid copper center quad shield along with Cat6 to all rooms. Did three RG6's but only one Cat6 per outlet though. This was bad enough bending to outlet within a 4" wall. Absolutely need the added strength of full plastic wall opening insert. In family room I put a five port gigabit switch off single Cat6 port and have HR22, Samsung TV, and AV computer tied to it. Have a 16 port gigabit switch at network hub. Got all the Keystone plates and connectors from Monoprice.com.

(fyi, in RF lingo, 'barrels' are male-male, 'bullets' are female-female.)

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You can get an Ideal-brand compression tool from Home Depot or Lowes for about $20. They won't hold up to daily/professional use for very long, but for most homeowners, they'll last a lifetime.

14. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I broke mine Sunday doing some wiring at my sister in-law's house. I've used it on fewer than 200 connectors. I haven't had time to see what's wrong, but it still works, it's just the spring return that's broken.

15. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    It'll still work just fine, had one break on me once also.

16. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Got one with a neat little Datashark kit...

Really? I would imagine the opposite. As a barrel being a container, or a device which you would put something into (ergo, female) and a bullet, being fired out of a gun being male...

17. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    We've always called barrel connectors as the ones for connecting two male ends together.

18. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    They call them "barrels" because that's what they look like:

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    So barrel connectors don't look like bullets...?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I finally found a website to back the claim...
    http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/connectors.cfm#adapters
    "Within any connector family there are three adapters you can use. A male-to-male adapter refers to an adapter with two male ends. This is often referred to as a "barrel" adapter. A female-to-female adapter has two female ends; it is often referred to as a "bullet" adapter. An adapter with one male end and one female end is often referred to as a "connector saver"."

20. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Well, in the cable TV and sat TV industries, female-to-female connectors are universally called "barrels" or "barrel connectors."