1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gone!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sdicomp, Sep 11, 2012.

1. sdicomp

sdicomp Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    After 12 years, I am leaving D*!

Deciding factors include;

-post card received for 'Free HD for 24 months', then noticing credit was off my bill(after 3 calls to CSRs was told each time that Free HD was no longer offered, and an email to 'Customer Advocate Team' who offered 12 months credit for HD on my bill, and then gave me the 'guilt trip' speech for calling about it. Also told me D* didn't have to give me anything.....and that D* 'never promised to be the least expensive service').

-SLOW response DVRs(tried several times to get an upgrade, but to no avail).

-$110 D* each month vs. $39.99 with cable company(with FREE HD, locked in for a year).

Congrats D*! I was your customer to lose, and you succeeded!

2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Go boldly, sdicomp. :)

It's only TV. If you could get a better deal, you were wise to take it.

3. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Goodbye and good luck.

4. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Goodbye.

5. kash

kash New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    as a person that just switched to directv, from comcast/u-verse.. have a great time, make sure you sign a contract. They will change rates after your promotion is done. One of the things i really like about directv is the interface.

6. sdicomp

sdicomp Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    Goes up $20 after the first year.....still a $50 savings!

7. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue Godfather

Apr 29, 2011
    On a related note, Comcast just raised prices to customers....FOR THE SECOND time in the same year.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/comcasts-cable-rates-rise-for-second-time-this-yea/nR6fN/

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Bye!

9. sdicomp

sdicomp Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
  10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I respect everyone who makes an active choice in managing his or her budget. Congrats, sdicomp, you are very lucky to live in an area where cable is so much less expensive. Around here it's Time Warner, and they don't have a package comparable to what I have at home; their closest package would drop me down to 1 DVR and 1 cable box (no multi-room), drop about 25 channels from me, and raise my bill $30/month.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Are you getting the same programming you had with DIRECTV and also two HD DVR's and it's $50/month cheaper even after the promo expires? If that's the case you're one of the exceptions since usually cable prices out higher when comparing apples to apples.

12. Ranger12

Ranger12 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Good luck. I will never go back to Charter for my TV. Horrible customer service and their price and HD selection can't match DirecTV. I wish I had another way to get high speed internet in my area, or I would not have Charter at all.

13. Santi360HD

Santi360HD Icon

Oct 6, 2008
    New York City
    One of the many reasons I bolted to Satellite from Cable was Time Warner's (NYC Manhattan carrier) inability to have a DVR that would last longer than a year without phantom recordings breaking it. And the HDD wasnt even overflowing full.. It gave me a phobia to this day that I've had Directv since 2005 and I've never wanted or longed for a DVR..when i came on board with SD it was a standard SD non DVR and then in 2008 with an H21 NON DVR to which I still have to this day..

Plus the cliche' of leaving providers for another isn't the answer, hardly applies to Time Warner's inability to land NFL network some 7 years after I left them...so f cable I left them for channels they don't carry and DVR's that failed like clockwork..Only thing I kept from Time Warner is high speed internet... that's a 49$ bill that pains their a$$ each time I get a call from a Time Warner CSR asking why I don't upgrade to a better package that involves TV..

your story of prices kinda not being honored or an "alright already" kind of attitude from the CSR for a semi bait & switch maneuver from their part are quite legitimate reasons to cast them off, and I wish you well. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise...Your wallet, your likes, your opinions are all yours..

good luck..

14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Apples to Apples from programming and equipment in my area, cable is about $25 cheaper.

I almost switched this year. Downside is D*'s DVRs are still far ahead of what they are offering for cable in my area and no ST. I did not switch because of those two factors and D* stepped up with a discount to match the price.

15. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I switched from DirecTV to FiOS 11 months ago. Comparable service at $40 less for the first 12 months and $20 less for the next 12 months.

Much faster DVR response to remote commands and much bigger hard drive -- 500 gb vs 300 gb.

Verizon's VOD blows away DirecTV's offerings. HD PQ is about the same on my 40-inch Sony but SD looks much better with FiOS.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I wouldn't call that "much bigger", and in fact most of DirecTV's current DVRs are 500 GB, with the HR34 being 1TB. Also you an use an external drive up to 2GB if you wish to.

However, that single factor is but one of several you mention, and it is good that you are happy with your current provider.

17. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    How many HD channels do they offer? If they're anything like Charter (locally), it's not even close.

18. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I can not fault someone for wanting to save a few bucks. I wish you luck and happiness with your new choice for television.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And of course encoding makes a difference, if they use MPEG2. TWC's 25 hours on their regular DVR just wouldn't do it for me.

20. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I wish I had options here. "Viable" options anyway. Time Warner pixelates badly everywhere I have seen it. uVerse has a flat look to it when I see it at my mom's. Dish's pissing contest with AMC Networks is a deal breaker.

I dont dislike Directv by any means. Love it in fact. It would still be nice to have an apples to apples choice.