1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good-bye DirecTV..... best alternative?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cdavis0720, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdavis0720

cdavis0720 Godfather

Jun 25, 2006
    After spending way too much time on the phone with DirecTV, it has come to the point that I have no other choice but to part ways with them. It really is ashame cause for the most part the service itself is not the issue. Rather the problems mainly lie with Ironwood Communications their install company. I do place some of the blame with Direct for two reasons. First the confusion regarding which dish would be installed for my HD-DVR upgrade. I know the 3LNB will work for me due to the DVR not being MPEG-4 compatible however I was told the 5LNB would be installed so I would be ready for the new DVRs whenever they come out. Truth be told if I would not have to deal with the nightmare that is Ironwood Communications again when the 5LNB dish would have to be installed I would not be bothered at all by having the 3LNB for the time being. Second issue is Direct's repeated broken promises regarding fixing this issue. Numerous times I have been left waiting for a call back from either Direct or a supervisor from Ironwood Communications. I have simply reached a point where I will not pick up the phone again to call them regarding this matter. I shouldn't have to.

Now all that being said, which is the better alternative for HD programming? I know Dish has more HD channels available but are they really worth it? Secondly does anyone know if Dish uses the same install company in the Philadelphia, PA area?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Dish would be it...
    I would not be surprised if they did use the installer company.... but really depends on the area.

Check with your local cable-cos and check to see if FIOS is available in your area.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    With the exception of tiny cable companies, few offer less national HD content than DirecTV. DirecTV is 50% ahead of Dish Network in HD locals which for many cannot be overlooked.
    Yes, for $5 more, you get more than double the channels. HD locals are available from Dish in the Philly DMA.
    Even if they do, you should be able to find an independent reseller that will do the install for you. Look in your area phone book under Satellite Equipment.

Be aware that Dish Network requires two dishes in your area. For some this is a deal breaker.

4. cdavis0720

cdavis0720 Godfather

Jun 25, 2006
    Not really a big fan of the idea of TWO dishes being installed. Comcast may be the only option for me. Really not overly impressed with their choices either. The only upside is that there is already a cable line running into the house so I don't have to worry about incompetence there I suppose.

Thanks for the input!

5. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Your best bet would to not even go HD with either E*or D* they don't have the
    bandwith and cable doesn't either.I know the last thing I would want to watch is
    a SD channel if I had a HDTV.You really have to blame the TV manufacturers you want HD we got HD yea for a big price.Now their talking 1080p yea right! My HD
    transition is at least 5 years away when all the dust clears.The technology is just
    beginning and I've got to take my hat off to you guys who have to have the latest
    and the greatest.It is you who will pave the way for us little people by paying the
    higher prices for TV's and programming.Thank you for your sacrifice!

6. Jul 1, 2006 #6 of 10
    saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I had a serious install problem I called that office of the president and they fixed everything in 2 minutes flat...

Mind you, this was after 30 phone calls, 4 wrong installs, installers who didn't speak any english and a bogus charge of 157 dollars..

7. Jul 1, 2006 #7 of 10
    DB Cooper

DB Cooper Mentor

Jul 17, 2005
    We have FIOS internet, but, no video yet in this area.
    Thankfully I'm pretty good at this kind of thing and do all my own install work. No dealing with these idiots, or non-english speaking home wreckers:eek2: :nono: .

John

8. Jul 1, 2006 #8 of 10
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    My HD move will be 7 years off because I'm disabled & California cut my monthly income to: $622.66. Besides in 7 years HD sets should be cheap.

9. Jul 2, 2006 #9 of 10
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You never miss an opportunity, do you?

10. DB Cooper

DB Cooper Mentor

Jul 17, 2005
    Wow, that's harsh:lol: :lol: :lol: :p !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.