1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good example of bad customer service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Spicoli, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Spicoli

Spicoli This is only a test...

Jun 7, 2006
  2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    One of the stories in the article:

"Cheryl LaGesse of Superior was upset after Charter came into her home in late May, disconnected her Dish Network and installed telephone, cable television and high-speed Internet services. She had signed up for only the high-speed Internet."

Another case of "I wasn't paying the least bit of attention while someone was doing something to my home and now I am mad and want to blame someone else."

Hey genius, ever heard of "Hey! What the heck are you doing, get off my roof and leave my dish alone! NO I WONT SIGN THAT!"

3. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    How do you know they were on the roof? Why should people who may not be sophisticated enough to challenge an installer be taken advantage of?

4. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    becasue it is the nature of the human race to try and take as much as they can would be my guess

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Go easy on Cheryl, Matt. It was Charter's fault all the way around.

When I had my defective HD DVR replaced three years ago the CSR never mentioned a repair or replacement charge, the installer didn't mention it, and the order I signed didn't have any price on it. The installer took away the bad DVR. The next month I had a service call charge of $100 plus a $450 charge for a receiver that had not been returned. It took three months to get the bill straightened out and the $550 credited back to me.

Other than that one lousy experience I have had good service from DirecTV.

6. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
  7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I just get frustrated with some of these people that cry about these installs. Take a look at youtube at some of the video rants about how sucky of an install an installer did.

You can get out a camera, make a video, load it on your computer, upload it to youtube, and write your sob story in the comments but you can't walk outside before you sign the paper saying the work was completed and make sure there isn't cable slung and swagged everywhere?

If you are smart enough to know it sucks to make a video and complain, you are smart enough to know it's not right before you sign that little pink paper.

I understand that there are cases like Bill had where nothing was said and there is no reason why you should know otherwise, but come on Cheryl. It didn't raise any flags in your mind when the installer is messing with your TV, making sure the service works and looks ok, and hands you your new remote? You didn't notice the tech checking your phones?

I know she can't answer, but how about the rest of you guys? If a tech came to install a cable modem in your house, do you just give him free run of the place to a point that you wouldn't notice them pulling your TV out of the entertainment center and setting up an additional box, and seeing guides and prompts on your TV you have never seen before? I don't know about the rest of you, but I have things in my house I want to still be there after the tech leaves, so I keep an eye on them while they are here. Surely something as obvious as picking up telephones around my house and moving TVs around would get noticed, wouldn't ya think?

8. Spicoli

Spicoli This is only a test...

Jun 7, 2006
    I posted here because it's a good example of very poor customer service and it gave a little comparison between some companies:

Charter did raise its score from 51 out of 100 in 2009 to 60 in 2010 - but that still left Charter in last place in its category. Time Warner scored a 61, DirectTV a 71 and Dish Network a 68. Charter has scored last in nearly every ACSI report released since it has been included in the report.

9. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    +1

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I agree that not all installs go well.

I agree that some installers are either undertrained or execute poorly on their training.

I also believe that the folks reporting "issues" with their installs are a mere fraction of the total of the ten of thousands of new installs taking place each month, and that most installs are done very well and according to requirements.

Furthermore, I have seen (firsthand on multiple occasions) installers go beyond the call of duty in the name of customer satisfaction.

Big picture - complainers will always outnumber satisfied customers in posts or polls. Why - because they are motivated to speak out - its human nature. Also, because for every ten people excited enough to complain, only one satisfied person takes the time to say "all went well".

It's the way it is....

To those with a bad experience...I suspect you may find that almost no one here wishes anything less than your satisfaction.

11. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    I will now tell you precisely why Cheryl said nothing. She thought the installer made a mistake, and that her bill would only show what she ordered, high speed internet. When the first bill came and she saw that she was also being charged for phone and tv service, and not getting it free, THEN she bitched.

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Some people are so dumb! We aren't sure she did this but you know it happens every day. "Oh hey the installer screwed up and now I get free digital cable and phone and they won't know about it!" Yeah right :rolleyes:

13. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    I once had Cox cable, internet, and phone service at my vacation home. I called up one day to cancel out the phone service portion only as I use a cell phone most times I'm there. They said ok and never mentioned they'd be sending a tech to come disconnect at the house and pole. Well on a saturday without prior notification, and when no one was there, the Cox guy (subcontractor who barely spoke english in a no-name white van) came on my property and disconnected everything, not just the phone service.

When I arrived there after 5pm that night my next door neighbor told me about this guy fooling around on my property. I discovered what he did and immediately called Cox, who said they couldn't send anyone until sometime during the following week because it was after 5pm. I told the girl, a higher-up CSR than the one who initially answered the phone, that wasn't good enough as this guy came on my property without permission and by all rights vandalized it. I told her I was going to call the cops and report this guy for trespassing and vandalism and if they didn't send someone immediately to correct what this guy did I was going to show up at her office with a tv news crew. She tried pulling the "you don't know where we are so that's an empty threat" line back, but when I told her the exact address of her location, and described to a T what her workspace looks like since I've been there in a professional capacity for my own job, she then changed her mind very quickly about finding someone to come out and fix their goofup that night. Unfortunately she wasn't able to find someone to come back that day so I had to make a deal with my neighbor to see it got done since I wouldn't be able to get back there till the following weekend.

In the end, even though Cox fixed their screwup, within the next couple weeks I dropped them for Fios and have never looked back.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Some of these issues could be avoided if the customer was involved in the process just a tiny bit. Something more than just getting off the couch to open the door (which I have seen far, far too many times). Ask questions, confirm what is going to be done. Don't just be a lump on the couch during the whole thing.

15. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    I agree that it's probably prudent for a customer to get involved in the process "just a tiny bit." But is it really too much for a customer to expect that a company – any company – will follow instructions and do the work – and only the work – that the customer is paying for and expects?

When a customer comes to my business or calls for service, they're not required to stand over my shoulder to make sure the job is done right. And they don't pay a dime until they're satisfied with the work we provided.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Very true.

However, the tech isn't going to wire up two additional services if she only ordered one. Installers get slammed all the time for not doing the minimum required, but in this case, he added 2 services that wasn't ordered? Hard to believe.

If you go through the drive through and order just a Coke, but they give you a Big Mac meal and charge you for a Big Mac meal, aren't you going to say something before you drive away?

Something just doesn't add up.

17. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    I can't count the number of times i've walked into a house and said...

"
    Hi, i'm XXXX from Directv and i'm here to install your service.
    I see we have 1 STANDARD DEF dvr and 3 STANDARD DEF receivers.

where would you like these placed in your house....

ok, Here is where i'm going to put your dish, run wires here and install your equipment inside.
    "

I get the dish up, IRD's in and running and it's time to sign the paperwork and hear....

"why isn't this in high def?"

18. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I'd venture to say that a big part of customer service problems are the customers themselves. Just like something I sold on ebay. They pay for it, I ship it, everything is great, then I get a slow shipping comment in my feedback. Of course I had the receipt from their payment and when I shipped it, and it was less than 24 hours. I shipped it priority mail too. There is just no pleasing some people.

19. rustynails

rustynails Godfather

Apr 24, 2008
    I am having a tech out to my house this Wednesday to fix a tuner problem on my HR21-200. If the unit needs to be replaced, will I be charged for a new unit and will that extend my contract another 2 years? My current 2 year commitment is up.

20. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    No and no.