1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good for Starbucks

Discussion in 'The OT' started by jodyguercio, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1 of 19
    jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
  2. Mar 3, 2010 #2 of 19
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I agree. If they are following the law, neither side has a right nor an expectation to ask them to enforce their own policy that would supercede the law.

3. Mar 3, 2010 #3 of 19
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Probably the wisest statement from Starbucks was simply that they don't want to be part of the debate.

4. Mar 3, 2010 #4 of 19
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I feel more safe when in the company of open carrying citizens.
    I'm not a big fan of Starbucks either way, but I am glad they have sided with the law on this one.

5. Mar 3, 2010 #5 of 19
    Castlebill

Castlebill Legend

Jul 25, 2006
    Just like the wild wild west - how wonderful.

6. Mar 3, 2010 #6 of 19
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Have to disagree with you on that one. Stores establish their own policies for customers all the time. There's nothing that prevents me from walking around town in my shorts and sandals, but I won't be allowed in Canlis restaurant dressed that way.

John

7. Mar 3, 2010 #7 of 19
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Not entirely.
    I never saw a cowboy hold a sixshooter sideways. :lol:

8. Mar 4, 2010 #8 of 19
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This is one of those cases where you better hope you can live with what you wish for, and some of us need a really long memory.

My first reaction was similar to yours. When did the inside a privately-owned store fall under the term "public places?" But then I remembered. The liberal community, of which I was avidly a part of 50+ years ago, changed the law making restaurants and stores public places - had to do with racial integration.

So if someone gets a law passed that in public places you are allowed to wear shorts and sandals, look out Canlis and other restaurants with dress codes.:eek2:

9. Mar 4, 2010 #9 of 19
    JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    Points well taken!

We've had a number of law enforcement officers killed in the greater Seattle area over the last several months. The evening news tonight was covering the Starbucks issue. They interviewed a woman who looked like she was totally, and I mean totally whacked out and she said that if she was at the coffee shop where 4 officers were killed she would have pulled out her gun and taken them out. My wife and I just looked at one another and said, that's the person we need to look out for!

Washington is an open carry state. Both my wife and I are third generation residents. If we go into any establishment and find folks openly carrying, we'll take our business elsewhere.

John

10. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Part of Starbuck's statement:

They don't have to ask them to leave. Not sure about other states, but even here in Gun Loving WV, if a business has a sign on the door saying firearms are not allowed, you are required to honor that request. If you don't, you are guilty of a FELONY! So most gun owners follow the requests. :)

11. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    Now that sounds pretty sensible to me.

John

12. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    The "wild west" is pretty much a myth. Try these numbers on for size...

In Abilene, Ellsworth, Wichita, Dodge City, and Caldwell, for the years from 1870 to 1885, there were only 45 total homicides. This equates to a rate of approximately 1 murder per 100,000 residents per year over the course of fifteen years.

In Abilene, supposedly one of the wildest of the cow towns, not a single person was killed in 1869 or 1870.

Now lets look at some 2007 numbers from the Uniform Crime Report:

Washington DC – 183 Murders (31 per 100,000 residents)
    New York – 494 Murders (6 per 100,000 residents)
    Baltimore – 281 Murders (45 per 100,000 residents)
    Newark – 104 Murders (37 per 100,000 residents)

So even with the best of the modern cities, you were 6 times more likely to be killed in New York City than in "the wild west".

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Killed by LEGAL gun carriers?

Don't you realize that you were just played by the editor at the TV station? The reporter/camera guy will have recorded several hours of footage of normal folks giving interviews. They will have ignored most or all of that and found the most whacked-out person they could, to give the story an "edge" and help bolster the ratings. This is almost ALWAYS done with ANY story.

If you know a police officer, ask them. They'll tell you that folks like this woman are always around, and most likely doesn't own a gun at all. But they know what to say to get themselves on TV.

Criminals don't open-carry guns in holsters and they don't apply for concealed carry licenses. And very, very rarely do they have good guns. Again, talk to your local police and ask them what they take off of criminals, and they'll tell you it's almost all cheap junk.

The folks you need to fear are CRIMINALS; people with contempt for laws and other people. Folks who are going to call attention (including police scrutiny) to themselves by legally open-carrying aren't going to be criminals.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You don't need to be afraid of criminals, despite all the fear mongering.

The statistics on homicides are pretty accurate, but can be misleading. If you separate numbers related to murders within families and/or households, related to the targets in gang feuds (leaving in the random victims), and related to law enforcement involved deaths, you can learn to focus your fears if you are afraid of being murdered. If you don't live in a gang controlled area, aren't planning to be involved in a crime, then just keep an eye on your family members.

But if you fear a violent death, never ever get near an automobile.

15. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    More good common sense. To that last part, some would add "and never swing your leg over a motorcycle" but I'd never go that far.

John

16. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    Don't think so to the first part. To the second, I agree with you.

I spent a lot of years around law enforcement staff. Never saw one of them open carry when they were off shift. And frankly, could never understand why anyone, LEO or not, would.

John

17. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    All of our trooper friends legally carry off the job. Many of their wives do as well. I have a girlfriend who jogs with her pistol in her fanny pack.

I go to some bad areas of many cities and towns to inspect repossessed homes. I used to bring my shepherd and my pit bull, but the shepherd passed and the pit has to be lifted in and out of the SUV, so it is pretty hard for me. Anyway, I am considering a CC permit so protect myself.

18. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    Actually, to control the dangerous gangs roaming the streets, Dodge City and other towns imposed strict gun control laws during this period. At any rate it is sad either side of this debate would would drag others into the fray.

19. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I admire Starbucks "keep us out of this" attitude. Of course someone is going to get really hacked off one day at some flake ordering a coffee that takes longer to say the name of than it takes to drink, and ooops!

Coffee m'am, Black!:lol: