1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good News! HD PVR from JVC.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Dmitriy, Apr 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 24, 2002
    I just read a thread at AVS (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129045) and found out that JVC is making HDPVR for E*!!! It will be dual tuners and maybe it'll come out in June. Model number is TU-9000. I was very surprised and didn't believe. But I'm convinced now after looking at this page(http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ho...cleID=77&page=3 ).
    Take a look, it's pretty convincing and interesting. :smoking:

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    It is unclear whether or not it's actually a PVR unit. It mentions something about an 80GB hard drive but I don't think it has anything to do with recording HD programming.

Sounds like a lot of miss-information to me.

3. Dmitriy

Mar 24, 2002
  4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Before I read that thread, I never new such a unit was in the works from JVC, as you can tell by my 2 posts in that thread at AVS.

5. Guest

Cool! But I'll stick with my cruddy DP:)

6. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    Isn't that just the 921?

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I dont think so the 921 AFAIK, is supposed to have a much bigger HD, one tuner and be made by Echostar not JVC.

8. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Steve - I've seen it reported several times that the 921 will have dual tuners that will be able to tune 2 HD channels at the same time, 1 HD and 1 SD channel or 2 SD channels. Od course, don't look for anything new receiver wise until the merger is taken care of (my bet is that includes the 721).

9. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    The 721 is supposed to be shown at team summit, I would expect that to be released before the merger, but nothing after that.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    hmmm...then maybe the 921 and TU-9000 are one in the same after all. At anyrate I doubt we'll see the 9000 by JVC with in the next year let alone june.

11. Dmitriy

Mar 24, 2002
  12. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Hmm the front of it says DVHS... This mean it will need video tapes?

Look at the fan on that thing, You could power a ship with a fan that size.

At least it has component outputs on the back and not the dreaded DVI outputs.

13. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    You're right - that is one heck of a fan - Perhaps that's just a temporary/pre-release version.

I'm pretty annoyed with dish making a conscience effort to disallow users from upgrading the hard drive. This is even more critical with a HD recorder. Perhaps things will be different with the JVC.

14. Guest

Those are pictures of a JVC HDVHS- model HMDH30000U.
    Marty, yes i'm deaf

15. Guest

The TU9000 has delayed release date to mid summer.

16. Dmitriy

Mar 24, 2002
    I think this is combination of vcr and HDTV receiver.
    Although this vcr is cabable of recording HDTV to DVHS and not only that, I think it will be top of the line vcr. I think that this will not be real pvr that has harddrive, but still this will be very intresting unit and its almost ready.

17. Dmitriy

Mar 24, 2002
  18. Dmitriy

Mar 24, 2002
    Scott,
    even though it needs tape and it has huge fan, it's still the only receiver that records HDTV.

19. Martyva

Martyva Guest DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    We're doing apples and oranges. The signs refer to 2 distinct products. The first is a HDTV PVR STB (lots a letters), the second is a HDDVHS VCR with analog on board tuner.

20. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    I read about this in my copy of the May S&V mag, where they did a review of the JVC HMDH30000U. It stated that JVC was coming out with the TU9000, which is ONLY a HDTV/DISH set-top - it does NOT, repeat does NOT have a PVR in it. The picture at the TS'02 does NOT say one thing about it being a PVR!

This kind of reminds me of that JVC combo DISH5000/D-VHS unit that came out couple of years ago, except now it's TWO separate pieces & does HDTV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.