1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Good Old Movies

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by olguy, Jan 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I'll let you decide what is old to you. Anyway, last night I watched Wake of the Red Witch from 1948. And I enjoyed it almost as much as I did as a 10 year old kid. But then it had Gail Russell in it. But the giant rubber octopus wasn't quite as impressive as it was back then.:lol:

I watched via Netflix Instant. The Logitech Revue up-converts to 1080p so it looked pretty good. Even the 4:3 didn't bother me. My 82" uses about as much of my field of vision as did the movie screens back in the day, or maybe more so it was a fun experience watching John Wayne fight the rubber octopus and free the kid from the big clam, what ever it was made of.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......a good movie is as entertaining today as it was years ago in spite of it's lack of high tech special effects. A few days ago I watched "Them". It has a assemble of great character actors encluding the rubber ants and a pre "Gunsmoke" James Arness! Nothing wrong with reliving one's childhood. :)

3. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I watched a recent showing of "Ben Hur" on TCM. I'd never seen the chariot race in it's entirety in one sitting.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
  5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I have always enjoyed the old classics but the other night I had the chance to watch the Road to Morocco with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope (1947) for the first time and really enjoyed it.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One of my favorite old movies is Buster Keaton's The General. The stunt work is phenomenal, and an amazing film over all. I actually saw it on Blu-Ray, it looked really good.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Buster Keaton on Blu-Ray ... who woulda thunk? :grin:

8. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Yeah - I bet Blu-Ray really shows off Buster's many nuanced facial expressions! :D

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Here is one site with various comparisons (Blu-Ray on the bottom on the comparison shots, then a bunch of Blu only captures.)
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/thegeneral.htm

Seriously, it looks really good. Now, some of that could simply be restoration work but being film, I'd think there could be more resolution than a standard DVD could do.

10. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl

Just saw Gail Russell in The Uninvited with Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey from 1944. I have always like Gail Russel and this was one of her first movie. She died way too young at 36 in 1961.

11. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Yes she did. I read where the studio terminated her contract when she got caught DUI. Way different than today. Studios don't care what they do as long as they're relatively sober on set.