1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good quality ehd for dvr'ing my 211

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by surfdude85, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1 of 13
    surfdude85

surfdude85 AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    Good evening, just wanted some thoughts on a good 500gb ehd to run along side my vip 211. I see so many out there,but I am curious what the pro's out there think. I always like to get other opinions and thoughts before I buy something. especially when I am still on a learning curve, when it comes to computers. Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice. surfdude

2. Dec 9, 2008 #2 of 13
    Mighty H

Mighty H Cool Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Seagate Showcase 500GB...It's DISH compatible. You can find in on the Seagate web site, but you'll have to look hard for it.

3. Texxen

Texxen Cool Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Dish Compatible is a VERY generic term.
    Dish doesn't even list any specific models, it has more to do with transfer rate and size than brand name.
    Read the DVR brochure.....

http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers/hd/vip211dvr/document/productBrochure.doc

Stick with name brands..Western Digital,Seagate,Hitachi/IBM,Maxtor

I have seen problems with the prepackaged External hard drives,some of them have very slow data read/transfer rates,video needs the fastest data transfer rate.

Some External hard drives use 5400 RPM drives, which is borderline for video,let alone HD.

I always buy a good hard drive and buy the case separately

4. Mighty H

Mighty H Cool Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I only see the "DISH Network" compatible sticker on Seagate and Western Digital products, and only see the full compatibility matrix on the Seagate site.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/consumer_electronics/showcase/

I think the limitation in most externals is the USB bus (480Mb/s) not the RPM of the HDD. Most hdd transfer rates exceed bus rate by a wide margin.

5. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    I purchased an OEM Western Digital 640 GB “green” drive, placed it in a Rosewill enclosure, both from NewEgg, and am using that with my 211. Seems to work fine, I have recorded two programs at the same time while watched a previously recorded one and no problems. I think the total spent is about $91 bucks!

6. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
  7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    How did you record two programs at once? I theorized that the ViP211 could only process one input stream at a time.

8. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008

I have recorded an OTA HD program and a sat HD program at the same time, if it isn't suppose to do it please don't tell it, cause it is doing it with no problems...however, if you are watching a recorded program while recording two other programs the fast forward is much slower than normal...

9. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Yes the 211 can address and record from either tuner to the EHD.

You can record a sat program and watch an OTA program and vice-versa, or record both.

Nifty, eh?

10. Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot Godfather

Jul 16, 2006
    Nifty is one way of putting it. I honestly can't remember being this thrilled over this small of an expenditure. What a great feature!

Back on topic, I bought the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition (750 GB) and love it. Just make sure when looking for an external drive that it's externally powered and USB 2.0

There's been one or two reports that the 1-TB drive also works, but your 211 only supports 750 GB max.

11. Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot Godfather

Jul 16, 2006
    Curious here, what make/model of EHD are you using? I haven't yet tried 2 at once but have had 1 being recorded while playing back another and did not notice any FF speed difference. Perhaps it's only when trying to record 2 @ once while watching a playback of another. I'll have to try it.

12. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008

I bought an OEM Western Digital 640GB "green" drive and put it in a Rosewill 2.0 USB enclosure, total spent about $92 and am very happy with the results.

13. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    I just ordered a WD5000AVVS ($70) which on WD's website is advertised as green, low power and recommended for audio/video/dvr use. Supposed to be very quiet. Also a ThermalTake noo28usu docking station, normally $30 with a $20 rebate(through 12-29-08) from Mwave. Total after rebate $91 including $11 UPS. Several other websites have this hard drive for about the same price.

We'll see how well it works and how quiet next week!