1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good service ......

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tampa8, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    This would probably apply to Direct TV as well as Dish - my daughter mentioned the other day she couldn't remember the last time we lost the dishnetwork signal - literally it has to be way over a year - I'm sure more. She brought this up because some of the others at school were complaining they could not see some parts of the final American Idol on cable because the picture kept going out, and a few weeks ago, there was an outage for about two hours or so. I haven't had cable since around 1999 when I got Dish. Apparently some things have not changed! :bink:

2. jerryez

jerryez Godfather

Nov 15, 2002
    My dishes are fine tuned to signal levels above 110 out of an 125 high. My 61.5 dish is 125. I still lose the signal every time there is heavy rain and that is quite frequently where I live. Your must live in the desert.

3. josem3

josem3 New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    I live in Florida like you but I don't lose my signal that frequently. In the past year I lose my signal 4 or 5 times but it was heavy rain with lightning storm(I don't want to risk my TV's and satellite under that weather condition so I must turn off them for precaution even if I have cable). ;)

4. jerryez

jerryez Godfather

Nov 15, 2002
    I have UPS's on my tv, receivers, TiVos, and my computer. They have surge suppression also. I never turn off anything and regularily surf the net or watch tv in heavy storms.

Some months, I have lost my signal three times and some months, not even once. Depends on the weather. We get a lot more rain in the pandhandle than you do down there. In a 30 day period in March/April, we got 31 inches of rain.

5. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I went for well over a year, probably closer to 18 months without any signal loss (or at a loss that interrupted my viewing or recordings). During our mid April snow storm last moth we lost the signal for the first time ever with DirecTV and going back father the last time we brushed snow off of a dish was in November of 2003 with E* and this is in Buffalo, NY.

That said, other then a problem with the old line that runs underneath my house, I have not had any cable outages since I got Road Runner in the fall. The line that runs from the pole to my basement was the original line put in when my house was first built back in '88. As impressed as I am with the reliability of DBS over the past year I am equally if not more impressed with the reliability of cable during the same time span. Since cable used to go out quite frequently around here.

6. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    First, aren't your LNBFs grounded? Sure, if lightning strikes your dish the LNBFs would be fried but the ground block would keep it from damaging anything in your home... Secondly, if it isn't grounded you can pick up a surge protector and that would do the work of the ground block, so you could utilize all of your electronics, regardless of the weather.

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    I just remember when we had the remanents of Hurricane Isabel pass through in 2003, that I watched Dish TV during the entire event and never lost signal. My cable modem (and the cable TV service in the neighborhood) was out for two days.

I lose signal on the very dark and heavy thunderstorms. The outtage only lasts during the heaviest of the actvity and quickly returns. Now that I have a HDTV receiver with OTA, I can just switch to that or a DVR recording to pass the time.

8. Larry

Larry AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 1, 2003
    If you're that worried about lightning...do you disconnect the satellite feed and unplug your equipment from power when there's a storm? Remember, turning the ird off only puts it into standby...and that offers you very little, if any, protection.

9. Jun 2, 2005 #9 of 10
    eckertman

eckertman Legend

May 20, 2005
    Woodstock,IL
    If it does happen you must not even be awake and watching.

10. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...

......did you really ever lose your signal? :lol: Guess we can add that to the debate about the tree in woods thing. :grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.