1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

goodbye and thanks

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by psternklar, Feb 19, 2009.

1. psternklar

psternklar Mentor

May 2, 2007
    Just wanted to thank this group for great information I received during my 2 years with DTV. I am back to cable as of today. The price increase, poor cs and chronic tuner 2 issues got to me. I agree the HDDVR on DTV is superior to what my cable co gives me (Scientific Atlanta 8300hdc) but I'm hoping I'll have less problems. I keep lurking most likely. Once again thanks ....

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, we will be looking forward to seeing you when you return for better and more HD Programming that actually works!!! :lol:

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I can certainly understand how you would get annoyed if you had a tuner 2 problem for two years. Thankfully, I've never had those issues, price increases are to be expected (cable has them too) and the 4 or 5 times I've called a CSR over the last 8 years, the experience has been fine.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Good luck. Glad we could help somewhat.

And you're always welcome to drop a line about how things are going.

Cheers,
    Tom

5. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Best of luck! We have Mediacomm and I can't wait to get back to D*. I think well end up using Qwest's three-for-one deal. The DVR we have with Mediacomm has just 80 hours and we don't have many HD channels. It's brutal.

6. MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    I've been down your road once before and came back after 6 months of regret. My cable system (Charter) makes E* look good!

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Help is on the way for Tuner 2 issue ..

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    P.

I feel your pain!

I'm cutting DTV soon because the income derived from installations at first dropped. Then, with numerous BS explanations, dropped to working for free.

I note that the once pristine feed now has more commercials than programs.

To put the best spin on the deal........DTV wants incompetent leaders to direct the untrained to accomplish more for higher money to the company and less to the tool guy.

The decision to cut expenses did come easier with recent attempts to find installation work.........without dealing with known crooks.

Joe

9. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006

He is returning ... to cable. He tried DirecTV and decided he wanted to go back to cable.

In November, I left DirecTV after 10 years for cable, and I've never considered returning to DirecTV. Picture quality is better (for SD); DVR has never missed a recording; customer service is better; price is lower; no commitment.

For some people, cable is just a better alternative.

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Glad to hear that you have found success in your provider .. Personally, I would not have that success if I were to make the switch.

Heck, just today a Cable company commercial reminded me of the paltry 15 hours of HD recording space on their DVR ..

11. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    If you don't like the DVR they provide than just get a Tivo!

12. wilsonc

wilsonc Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    From the time this message was posted to now, cable has already had two price increases. :lol:

13. Simmerman

Simmerman AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    I like DirecTV but there are times when doing installations that some customers are truely better off with cable. This is no disrespect to the OP.

Satellite systems (SWM in particular) can be a touch complex. Some poeple are better off with a simple system where they can use the TVs' remote control with a simple coax to the back of the TV.

I am not one of these people but to each his own.

14. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    I have to say, overall, D* has worked out well for me.

Having said that, it's true my options are limited. Although there's cable in the rural area where I live, they don't happen to have a run down the dirt road I live on. That leaves D* and E*. I had E* for several years when we first moved here, and the exasperating problems prompted my move to D*, which is not perfect but a vast improvement over Dish.

In fact, if D* disappeared, I think I'd just have to exist without tv...but that's just me.

Different strokes for different folks.

15. bcrab

bcrab Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    I hope so.
    When?

16. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    As soon as possible. They are testing, reviewing, double checking, and hopefully will have a fix soon.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    They "fixed" it back in the Spring of 2007, so they should be able to fix it again.

18. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not here it aint. Its $79 for 1/3 of the channels with 1 DVR and no HD channels. Thats the biggest rip off I ever heard of. If you want HBO or anything like that its extra. For about $135 you can still have at least 1/2 the channels and 1/5 the HD channels. Sorry but I think I am gonna have to pass. To say Cable here sucks is a huge HUGE understatement!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention their DVR's dont hold more then 80 hours.

19. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Wow, lower price. :eek:

Can you tell me how much are you saving?

I found that to be the opposite in my area.

With Comcast and I would be paying $45+ just for the three DVRs I have now.

That would be before a programming package.

I won't do Uvers. I don't like their hardware.

Mike

20. psternklar

psternklar Mentor

May 2, 2007
    I did not want to start a flame war. I truly wanted to say thanks to this group for the information shared. For ME in MY situation cable is the better choice. I'm glad there are choices because I believe competition improves all players. BTW, I have Time Warner and the PQ is similar to DTV, the DVR is not a user friendly, HD channels are similar. I switched for the reasons stated.