1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOODBYE R15...HELLO TIVO once again

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mocman, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mocman

mocman New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    I have had the R15 fof a few months now and like all others here I have nothing but problems with this unit. I guess I should have listened to the installer when he stated he could not see why they are getting away from tivo. That he hates the new box.
    I am a person who has to have the latest and greatest when they come out so I took the plunge. Well being a tivo person for a few years I am going out today and bye another.
    I have callled dtv and of course they act like they have no problems and I was the first caller to complain. So I called again a few weeks later and get the same result. Then they stated they would give me my money back on a directtivo if I could find one. So today is the day to make the switch back.
    I also understand that all things have bugs and need to be addressed in due time but this is CRAZY..
    Anyway the best thing I have come to is that I found this GReat Site..........

2. mocman

mocman New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Anyone have any input?? Anyone else doing the same or just going to wait it out???

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Everyone is allowed their own choices...

We have plenty of opinions, but you have already made your choice to switch over to the TiVo product.

So....

I have 4 TiVo powered boxes, and two R15s... I am in no rush to change any of them to the other... they both have their pro's and con's.

4. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Godfather

Dec 6, 2005
    I have 1 R15, 4 R10's. I 'prefer' the Tivo but that said, the R15 IS NOT a bad system. It certainly does what I need it to do, and the fact that it is ready to take on some of the new features the DTV will be pushing out this year (CBS, FX, Fox on demand, movies on demand, more interactive channels) puts it over the Tivo for me. If you don't care about DTV future enhancements that they have announced, stay with Tivo if that makes you happy.

Fact is, DTV is moving away from Tivo and their future is elsewhere. If you want to move with them and the new features then you are going to have to move off of Tivo at some point.

Enjoy

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    jf... don't forget to include DirecTV2Go and the connection to Microsoft Media Center...

6. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Its just personal preference and what features you like really. I was telling a friend of mine about the R-15 as he was thinking of getting a DVR for his setup and I have both an R-15 and DirecTiVo. I showed him the R-15 first as its in the living room, then I took him to the bedroom to see the DirecTiVo.

You know the first thing he said when I was showing him my DirecTiVo ? Where is the TV picture and sound when we were looking through some of the menus. This alone made him dislike the DirecTivo and prefer the R-15.

If I had to only pick one, R-15 or DirecTiVo, I would pick the R-15 even with all its problems as no matter how great the DirecTiVo is the R-15 "IS" the future of DirecTv and the direction they are headed.

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    New Wal*Mart flyer came in todays mail, Directv 80GB DVR system is featured for $98.74. They must have bought the remaining inventory of the R10's. I like both products but prefer the R10 over the R15 simply because the R15 was released with so many bugs. If Directv adds a 30 second skip and dosen't take too long at debugging the R15 they will have a superior unit.

8. mocman

mocman New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Yea our wal-mart had 10 of these units. I called directv to turn on the new tivo and the guy still act like they never heard of the problems that the r15 has.........

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have one R10 and two R15's. Overall I like the R15 better than the R10. As others have noted, once they get the bugs out, it will be an excellent dvr. HEY DIRECTV - HURRY UP WITH THE NEXT UPGRADE OKAY?
    -
    Carl

10. mocman

mocman New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    yea I still have the r15 and as soon as they fix it I will give it another try. That is if I do not sell it on ebay...............as for now I have a tivo that just does the job that I tell it to do.......

11. robertsori

robertsori New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    And what makes you think that will work properly, given the other problems.
    Also, I hope Tivo wins the suit against Echostar, which will force Directv to pay them for ripping off the DVR concept..............:mad:

12. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    The Suit against EchoStar is about part of what is used in their DVR, not for the overall concept of DVRs

Replay was out before TiVo ......

As for your first line...

The TiVo product wasn't perfect when it first rolled out either... they managed to get it working alright after a few years.... It still isn't perfect.

13. robertsori

robertsori New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    All products get better with time, Maybe if it was free to use, it could be worth working out the problems. But they charge $6 a month from day one.

Tivo has a superior interface, compared to other DVR's
    And Echostar copied some of the functionality and features, I hope they are made to pay for the ripoff.

In my opinion DirectV, is a bad company to do business with, Tivo, NRTC, Pegasus... found that out
    Just do a search of Directv and lawsuits and you'll find what I can only call a predator company.

But they do offer a better product than Echostar or Cable.

Echostar is very strange also, first Disney ABC, OLN and now Lifetime.
    Soon they may cancel E$PN, and then offer a press realese claiming they have actually added Sports channels with the addition of the Cricket Network.

:mad:

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Strictly a matter of personal opinion. I like the R15 interface over the TiVo interface myself.

Carl

15. davenap

davenap Cool Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I prefer DirecTiVo (R10) over the R15 but I see the writing on the wall and no future improvements on the R10. Hopefully, the R15 will improve with time like TiVo did, be patient.

16. robertsori

robertsori New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    If you like it, then it's good for you.
    Everyone's opinion on ease of use, etc, is valid.

I am hoping for a solution similar to the cable card.
    Why can't we buy whatever we want, and have it work.

A consumer should not be forced to buy Directv or Dish's DVR only, and the additional cost charged for these, addon's.

And lets remember, the new MPEG compression will force all older DVR and Reciever units to the garbage, after the conversion to higher compression is completed many months from now.

Let's push our Congress to force the Sat's to incorperate a similar feature, like the cable card, to allow for more competition in recievers and DVR's.

That would give us all the option of getting what we want.:)

17. DesignDawg

DesignDawg Legend

Jan 7, 2006
    Let's remember this? It's not factual. The new MPEG compression you speak of is ONLY for HD channels. Therefore, "all older DVR and receiver units" will continue to work just fine, except the HD ones, which are being replaced at no cost.

Ricky

18. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Will they replace the tivo HD DVR's for the R20's (when they come out)?

19. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    According to current information, there are plans to swap out the HR10-250s for HR20s... at varrying degrees of cost.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You guys need to give up on the whole DirecTiVo concept going forward. The relationship is over and the supply of receivers has all but dried up.

Here are two possible outcomes from the E* lawsuit:

1. TiVo doesn't "win" and is financially destroyed.
    2. TiVo wins and will never make an MPEG4 receiver for DirecTV customers.

Either way, they have parted ways with DirecTV and the best that can be hoped for is continued support of existing MPEG2 only DirecTiVo models.

If you have other theories, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

The fallout is that the D* faithful need to make sure that they all dutifully file their carefully detailed trouble reports so that the issues with the R15 can be accurately identified and fixed.

If you can't live without TiVo, then you need to pray that TiVo survives and find a way to hook up with Comcast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.