1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye to HD component video?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Bob Coxner, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    http://blogs.consumerreports.org/el...e-hd-component-video-hello-analog-sunset.html

For example, as of January 1st of this year, manufacturers have not been permitted to make new Blu-ray players with component-video jacks capable of outputting high-definition (HD) video; instead, video sent via the component outputs is limited to SD (standard definition, either 480i or 576i). Existing models in the lineup with HD component-video connections can be sold through 2013, but starting in 2014, no new models will have any analog video outputs. Hence the term "analog sunset."

If you already own a Blu-ray player with active HD component-video outputs, you might think you're safe. Sadly, that's not the case, because of another piece of technology called the Image Constraint Token (ICT), which can be embedded in the video stream of a Blu-ray movie. When activated by a Hollywood studio, the ICT can down-rez (reduce the resolution of) the quality of the video sent via the component-video output.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I really dont see what the point is. You can make a digital copy of a blu-ray now. You can strip the copy protection. As is usual with the MPAA, all they are doing is screwing the legit customers.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, it started the beginning of this year and it was news when it was first announced about 1 year ago.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yup...so grab those last component- based Blu Ray players before they're all gone.... ;)

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. Another shocker. I had no idea you could use component wires to play BluRay disks. I just assumed that they needed HDMI.

Rich

6. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Most use HDMI...but there were some models with both. Mute point soon enough....it'll be HDMI or bust. :D

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Yes the change may not be heard or be a moot point. ;)

8. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah, one of my pet peeves also :)

9. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Actually, manufacturers are prohibitted from introducing new models with component out. They can continue to manufacture existing models for another three years.

Big surprise that Consumer Reports would get it wrong. :rolleyes:

I actually use the component out on my living room BR player to feed the MBR.

10. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    True....but the reality is between models have a new model replacement cycle of less than 6 months on average, and many of those that had both connections already being discontinued....the shelves will be pretty bare by mid-year...

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Sounds about right......

What's the bottom line here? That you can't make an analog copy from the stream? No VHS? Or, put another way, what clever thing can you do now via Component?

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    For the majority of people this won't be an issue anyways.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Very true...and the more time passes, the less an issue as well...

14. EKrimmer

EKrimmer AllStar

Mar 21, 2008
    I agree but I'm not sure if I agree for the same reasons. IMO the market has found its level. By that I mean the price point where it's reasonable to digitally purchase or rent rather than copy illegitimately. Hence a poor SD copy isn't even worth the trouble.

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Certainly all true...plus Blu Ray originals can be purchased on sale often <$15, even for many new titles if shopped.

The main motivation behind it is elimination of the "copyright protection loophole" using component cabling. It becomes more of a moot point daily.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, it's mooter every day. :lol:

But what can one copy to iae that'd be worthwhile for an HD fan such as yourself—or virtually everyone else who posts here?

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't get the whole copying thing, but if you go to NYC, you'll see plenty of folks selling bootlegged DVDs. Remember that episode on Seinfeld where Kramer's friend used a camcorder to copy a movie from the seats? There was a lot of truth in that episode. In NYC where you have so many people walking past good locations, you can sell just about anything.

Rich

18. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Uh, DVD's don't cut it in any way shape or form in my household. Now, they're better than SD, but I've drunk the Koolaid on HD, etc.

Can one, without jumping 18 barrels make a HD copy of a BRD or record a HD broadcast to HDD, without using a computer?

19. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    HDfury 2

20. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    I haven't seen a HD 27" TV for $99 like there was with CRT. Until that happens I will wait and see.