1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google declares war on the password

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dpeters11, Jan 18, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/01/google-password/all/

I use a slot on my Yubikey for Google, works pretty well. It doesn't replace the password in my case, just an additional layer. It currently requires a helper app, would be nice to not need that anymore.

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    We took part in a pilot program for BofA a few years back which required us to enter a 5 digit from a pocket device as a second layer of protection. HATED IT!! I have enough crap on my key ring as it is and adding devices to support a second layer of protection is only going to make things more cumbersome.

3. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I already use Google Authenticator for several services. Two-factor authentication is quickly becoming a standard.

4. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks for the link.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I wish my credit union supported something like that. Not like an RSA tag, but would love for it to support my Yubikey. The fact that I've found sites seem to allow more secure "secret answers" than passwords is interesting. "Password can't be more than 12 characters, no special characters but your childhood best friends name is %HaS%s3bgf@maNXKTYGx? No problem."

What's useful is that the Yubikey has multiple "slots". One can be set up for Google authentication, one for Lastpass or Symantec VIP. And really, you potentially wouldn't need to use it every time. I know no one else is going to be using my systems, so it only asks for it if it doesn't recognize the computer.

6. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    blizzard came out with this in 09 i believe with the blizzard authenticator

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I use the Big G as a search engine. Nothing more. The less they know about me, the better.

Don't trust'em a bit.

8. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    don't even use them for that perfer yahoo

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The password model is broken. Sites have different requirements, idiotic restrictions, store passwords badly, either plaintext or unsalted etc etc. Something has to change.

10. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    AmEx blows my mind with a "max 8 digit password"

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Capital One makes theirs case insensitive...