1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoogleTV Viable Replacement

Discussion in 'Blu-Ray Hardware' started by mrb6228, Sep 8, 2015.

1. mrb6228

mrb6228 New Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey guys,

I currently have a Sony Blu-Ray player + GoogleTV set top box. You-Tube has ended support for this machine and the current app is unusable.
    I am looking to replace this machine with something as good or better for streaming as well as disc playing. Anyone have any viable suggestions for
    a replacement box that can restore order to my home theater?

We use the GTV box for
    1) Netflix
    2) YouTube (obsoleted)
    3) Amazon Prime (obsoleted)
    4) Light Internet browsing
    5) Blu-Ray discs.

We especially liked the handheld keyboard/remote and support for wireless keyboard too.
    Other than a media pc, is there another Blu-ray player that can do it all?

Thanks,
    Malcolm

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Are you after a streaming box and keep the current player for just blu ray? Or you looking for another all in one solution. Personally I'd get a separate streaming box. And I'd wait to see what apple actually announces tomorrow before making any decisions.

3. mrb6228

mrb6228 New Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Initially, I was looking for a replacement all in one solution as my current Blu-Ray player is beginning to show its age.
    A buddy of mine suggested a Lenovo Q190 + a USB Blu-Ray player. Its a full featured mini-pc, but I no nothing about Lenovo quality.
    I will admit, it would be nice to have a Windows 8 or 10 machine to add versatility to my setup.

4. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    My only reservation for the Lenovo is Celeron processor. I wouldn't go below Core i3 for video and the like.

5. mrb6228

mrb6228 New Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Good point, bidger.

I went to Best Buy this weekend and had a conversation with a staff member in their TV department. He recommended a Roku3 for streaming and a separate Blu-Ray player. This would keep my cost potentially below 200 bucks and not have all my eggs in one basket. I had previously purchased a Roku3 when they first came out, wasn't to crazy about it and eventually disconnected it. I reconnected it to a flat screen in another room last night. Will give it another evaluation this week to see if my opinions have changed.

Thanks,
    Malcolm

6. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    Malcolm: Roku doesn't have a web browser, though I don't know how important that is to you.

I'd suggest a no-frills blu-ray player like this sub $50 Sony on Amazon, and pair it with a new Apple TV for $149. With Apple opening up the new tvOS to third party developers, I think it will soon have much to recommend it over a Roku.

7. mrb6228

mrb6228 New Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    This past weekend, I was alerted to the upcoming Amazon Fire set-top box to be released on 10/05 and its support of 4K TV.
    Currently, in combination with Reaper's advice above, I am looking at this Fire TV for 99 plus a low to mid range Blu-Ray player.

I think this will be the most cost effective route to take.

Thanks,
    Malcolm

8. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I think your decision is a good one Malcolm. I currently have 2 1st generation Fire TVs and am quite happy with them. In fact, they're the only components I have connected to my TVs. For apps, I use Amazon Prime Instant Video, Netflix, Kodi for personal media library streaming (this in place of a Blu-ray or DVD player), Tablo for streaming OTA from the Tablo DVR, and Sling TV.

In case you're interested, I documented how I converted my disc collection to digital on my website. I haven't yet posted about transitioning from Plex to Kodi for playing the ripped digital streams, but it's very similar -- though it takes more work to get Kodi on the Fire TV. For this reason, for most I would recommend Plex. I prefer kodi because it seems to do a better job of upscaling DVD rips, to my eyes at least.