1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Got a Free HD DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by damondlt, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jul 5, 2013 #1 of 13
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I was doing some poking around today on Directv .com and decided just for fun see what Directv would charge me to upgrade one of my H25s to a C31.
    So I clicked on the link that shows the info on the Client, and it said $99 crossed out and Free under it. So then I said well just for Sh$%s and giggles lets see what the HD DVRs are going for . " I figured $99" Nope! $199 crossed out and it said Free. :eek2:
    So I jumped all over that, Added it to cart shipping and Tax came to $21 and change .

Hope I get HR24, but will be happy with any really since it was free. And I'm not a fan of the Clients so this is a win win for me.

07/05/13
    $21.15
    Drop Ship Completed Item Description Price Quantity Total HD DVR Free 1
    Free Regional Sports Fee Free 1
    Free HD-DVR Receiver Condition Free 1
    Free Delivery and Handling - $19.95
    Tax $1.20 Order Total $21.15

I don't know what Happened , but My free upgrade wasn't until December 13th.

All it said in Recent Activity was this

07/05/2013 XXXXXXXX4914 Keep Valued Customer - Charge $0.00 $0.00

2. Jul 5, 2013 #2 of 13
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    One other Question , the HR21,22, need Deca II for Whole home correct?

3. Jul 5, 2013 #3 of 13
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Yep, they will need an external DECA, HR23 will need one too.

4. Jul 5, 2013 #4 of 13
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    OK thought so . Yea my HR23 has one. I will order one from Ebay after I see what comes, they are going for less then $20 shipped. Solid signal wants $50, Screw that LOL!

5. Jul 6, 2013 #5 of 13
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you don't get one with your new DVR, call DirecTV and ask. I believe they will ship you one for free.

6. Jul 6, 2013 #6 of 13
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Will do. Thanks

7. Jul 6, 2013 #7 of 13
    PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I did the same thing a few weeks ago, but I had Direct come out and do the install. He brought out a HR24 with him, but while he was here he noticed my signals were slightly low, so he changed out the LNB. So really I got a 2 for 1 in my eyes.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

1 person likes this.
  8. Jul 6, 2013 #8 of 13
    Starrbuck

Starrbuck Legend

Jun 25, 2004
    DFW, TX
    It would be awesome if they 'automated' more free or low-cost upgrades like this for us valued customers. I had to call retention to get my new stuff free after a regular rep offered me $299 for a Genie upgrade.

Congrats on your upgrades!!!

9. Jul 6, 2013 #9 of 13
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yea this was a nice surprise , I didn't even have to speak to a CSR.
    But I will have to when I deactivate my H25.

1 person likes this.
  10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    LOL, had a service call from a lady last week, her H2X in the master bedroom would not pickup the whole home, which was working fine everywhere else in her home. An 'official' DirecTV had done the whole home upgrade a month ago. He noted at the time the list was not coming up in the bedroom box, but felt it would sort itself out in less than a day.

Guess what I found ?!?!?

Yep, he had forgotten the DECA. I have several in the truck and had it working pronto. The bedroom TV has quite a bit of extra equipment on it, a Bose sound system, VCR, DVD, TV used as a monitor for the PC, and the cabinet is full to the gills. I'm sure he just missed noticing the lack of a DECA.

I've had installers give me several DECAs, and since I was in and out in minutes (and she has been generous with cookies and cake on prior visits) I no-billed her.

Another happy customer.

The DECA is an easy thing to overlook, glad to hear they are cheap on EBay, and (frequently) free at D* if I run out of my stock of them.

11. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yea got my HD DVR and its HR24-500. Awesome! :righton:

12. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Ok, all activated and it works fantastic. The remote response is great and very quick on command. The PQ seems to be slightly better then the H25 for some reason. Seems to have a better contrast even using the same HDMI cable and plug that the H25 was hooked to.

They gave me a number of wires ,Composite ,component, HDMI and Phone cable. But of course the HDMI cable was bad. But I have many so that was no problem.
    The HR 24 is fast. Faster then the HR34 for sure!
    But we'll see once it starts getting filled up with recordings, that may change the outcome.
    Very happy so far.

But I do have one question.

How do you make the H25 record default to the Hr34, Is it possible? or do you have to manually do it all the time?

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nothing is "free". You just agreed to another 2 years with DirecTV meaning they will make lots and lots of money from your account whether you cancel or not.