1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a new TV for Xmas..confused by call to DTV this am

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bradduh, Dec 27, 2010.

1. bradduh

bradduh New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Long time lurker, hopefully all you knowledgable folks can help me out.

Here is my current Setup.....

Choice Extra+HD DVR package (3 year customer, never had an upgrade)
    HR22-100=Basement (2 coax runs for 2 inputs)
    D11-100=Living Room
    D10-300=Mst Bed
    D11-100=2nd Bed

Called DTV this am and wanted to upgrade the Living Room receier to HD-DVR because got new HD TV for Xmas. Also wanted to upgrade to MRV while at it (I know technically I do not need a DVR, only and HD receiver for MRV, but need the recording space)

CSR said would get HD-DVR for $149 and MRV install for $199. Also said would need to replace my 2 bedrooom receivers with newer ones that worked with MRV. All seemed reasonable enough to me.

The kicker came when he said I would need to replace all my COAX with Fiber Optic cable in order to support the MRV.

I live in a house that is only about 7 years old and has newer COAX. This did not make sense to me and not what I understood from reading here at dbstalk.

1) Can someone confirm or deny if this fiber optic replacement would be needed? I already have LAN connections to the 2 HDTVs and think this would be sufficent.

2) Are the prices quoted something that is reasonable? Or should I be pushing retention for a much bettter price?

3) Any key words or magic phrases I should be using with the CSRs to get exactly what I need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brad

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    1. No fiber is used. Your existing coax is probably sufficient. Worse case they might replace a coax run.
    2. Normal price is $199 for a DVR, $149 for whole-home, and $99 for an HD receiver. You should probably expect to get the HD receivers at no cost but it sounds like you are paying normal prices for the DVR and whole-home install. A lot of what goes into an offer depends on your account history, so that can vary. It can also vary from one CSR to another, so it doesn't hurt to try a couple of times.
    3. You also want to ask for the cinema connection kit (internet connection kit) if you want access to VOD offerings from DirecTV.

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The CSR obviously made a mistake. They will not be running fiber optic cabling..

What they will do is more then likely change out your multi-switch to a SWiM based unit, upgrade existing receivers to ones that support MRV and install a DECA module on your router and on receivers/DVR's which require them.

As for the price you were quoted. You might be able to work a better deal by calling back and speaking with another CSR (it is obvious this one wasn't very knowledgable).

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    SWM is required for MRV over coax the D10 and D11 receivers are not SWM compatible. Pricing may be improved by playing CSR Roulette.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well that's a new one! That's a perfect reason to subscribe to the Protection Plan. You very rarely get CSRs that come out with something as outlandish as that.

Sounds like a lot to me. If you call Retention and tell one of their CSRs that you were told that you need fiber optic cable you might get the whole thing for free. I did because a CSR just signed me up for MRV and all I wanted to do was find out some facts about it. She even used my Amex card to pay for the whole thing. I called Retention immediately and they were, as usual, extremely helpful. Call them and tell them about the need for fiber optic cable, see what you can do. Fiber optic cable....:lol:

Rich

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well that's a dead giveaway that you got a bad CSR. Call back and ask for the retention dept. They're better inform and will probably give you a better deal. And make sure you get the Cinema (Internet) Connection Kit (CCK) with your WHDVR.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Also keep in mind while they will swap the D10 & D11 that are in the bedrooms with D12s to make them SWiM compatible, they will not playback recordings. The way they call things "compatible", IMO is a little shakey and sets people up for disappointment.

If you want to view recordings in either or both bedrooms, those will need to be replaced with a H21/23/24...at an additional cost to you.

8. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    My CRS told me the receivers were wireless. He hung up when I told him that was not possible. All I wanted to know was if they were going to charge me the fee if I used just ethernet connections. They still charge you the fee even though they don't support it.

9. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You pay for MRV option to be turn on in each box.

10. rkr0923

rkr0923 Guest

Sep 14, 2006
    and how do they keep winning this so called Customer Satisfaction Award....never understand that one. Must be "self" proclaimed

11. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    Yep, hearing about a bad experience like this one compared to the tons of calls they get right and we never hear about, I guess that's how they keep winning this so called Customer Satisfaction Award.....

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I have always had positive experiences when dealing with CSRs (I hope that mentioning it doesn't jinx things for the next time). :sure:

13. rkr0923

rkr0923 Guest

Sep 14, 2006
    u think 1.5 million people are on this web site......Not!
    I'm sure those calls happen every day, just the ones we hear on here are from couple hundred people. Their CSR's just make stuff up sounds to me like. I haven't called them in years because of that. If I can't figure it out myself I call a local place who might charge a small fee or might just do it for free.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh, it's not just one. It's a constant. If you don't have the Protection Plan, you will be subjected to CSRs who don't have a clue and just blurt out the first thing that comes to their untrained minds. They will say anything to get a customer pacified so that they can go to the next customer, pacify him, then go to the next customer...see where this is going?

Rich

15. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Smart companies have computer trouble report flow charts. There are very few smart companies.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree with your statement completely.

Rich

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I've worked and managed people in 3 companies with large call centers.

The reality is that the labor/benefits cost for these folks is a BIG chunk of total operating costs. Companies have to contain these costs as much as possible in order to be competitive; otherwise, they have to pass higher costs on to their customers. Anyone want a higher monthly bill?

So, level 1 CSR jobs are one step above an entry-level job, and so is the pay. Turn-over is very high, so training expenses must be kept as low as possible while giving a CSR enough to do the job. This means the 90:10 rule is used: train on the questions and procedures that will cover 90% of their calls, and let them use their online documentation to look up the other 10%.

Really bad CSRs will get weeded out pretty quickly, but some mediocre ones will fake their way through things for a while. These folks would rather make stuff up and get you off the call than take the time and effort to look up the right information. These folks will eventually get weeded out too, but it will take much longer, as they tend to be just smart enough to keep their jobs, by blaming others or doing a good job when they know someone is paying close attention, but slacking off otherwise. And there are plenty of these folks in any large job pool.

Good CSRs tend to get promoted into more specialized departments, so these folks on average will be much more knowledgable, at least in their area of responsibility, but it also helps drain the overall talent from the general CSR queue.

By paying CSRs more, you could compete for better workers (against other higher-paying jobs), but we would all see the results of that in our monthly bill. (Almost) no one wants that.

Try a little experiment: If DirecTV offered a CSR queue staffed by people with at least 2 years of experience and considered "the best" CSRs, but you had to pay $50 to use that queue, how many of the, let's say 100,000 customers who call a day, would use that option? Would you?

If your answer is "no", then you're part of the reason why customer service isn't as good as you'd like it to be: you aren't willing to pay for better service, and better service simply isn't free.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's a pretty good assessment. What we've been saying all tied up nice and neatly. Agree, I do.

Rich

19. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    They're called the 'Retention Dept' :lol:

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The folks at the Case Management Group are even better. That's where all the really good CSRs migrate to.

Rich