1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my New 721, Any Tips, Gotchas for me?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Roger T, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger T

Roger T Guest

Well I got my new 721 (Local Dealer) Wednesday :hurah: . Unhooked feeds to a Dishplayer & 501 until he could run the extra feed from SW64 on thursday.

Had some problems getting it going, could have been me, Took working with tech support to get it going. Seemed to take a day or so to remap Locals.

Pros: Nice interface. Good speed using features. Two Tuners with PIP, good timer conflict resolution.

Cons: None so far.

Any Tips, workarounds I need to know?

Dishplayer = Verynice but slow as molasses.
    501s = Fast, simple interface
    Tivo Standalone = Ok interface but slow
    VCRs, Well They were better than nothing.

Thanks for any Tips
    Cheers

2. AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression Godfather

Aug 16, 2003
    721 = Verynice and fast interface?

3. Randy_B

Randy_B Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Turn it off everynight after your done with it. Do not leave it on 24/7.

Ocassionally you will notice the sound disappears when jumping ahead several times. In this event skip back once and sound will return.

Our 721 has needed a reboot every once in awhile.

4. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Reboot weekly at least. Keep it on a UPS./ Reboot time is 4 minutes thats no good if a power bump occurs during survivor:(

Dont archive stuff on the hard drive if you cant live without it. One day a hard drive failure may erase all your recordings. Be espically alert if its telling you theres a software upgrade/ Some folks have lost it all at that time:(

721 runs best on legacy LNBs. Avoid upgrading to dishpro equiptement

5. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    If you want to have a cool" Folders option" for your recordings then set manual timers for recording blocks of say network shows. Example : You like the nbc Thursday night shows from say 7:00 to 9:00 pm. If you will go into the timers create screen and set up a weekly timer for that time period , it will record all the shows with individual start points complete with info for each show. You can then watch those shows in any order you want. This is a cool feature and is very usable since the 721 is only going to allow you to record up to 65 timers at a time. This will eliminate the need for individual timers for each show and it will prevent the show from missing the ending . This is especially good feature since NBC will super size their programs randomly. Now the tech geeks promised name based recording features by the middle of the year on the last tech chat. I don't know how this will work, or if it will cause bugs to surface, but I hope they leave the ability to do manual timers like we presently have.

6. thevoice

thevoice AllStar

Sep 24, 2002
    In my opinion, I find this completely incorrect..

7. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    As usual, Haller has posted a lot of misinformation. The 721 does NOT need to re-booted weekly. Mine hasn't needed to be re-booted since the last software upgrade (in December).

As for DishPro LNBs and switches, they work fine with the 721.

8. angiodan

angiodan Godfather/Supporter

Sep 2, 2002
    My 721 has been flawless since I purchased over 5 months ago. Have it on a UPS due to the amount of power bumps we have in Florida, turn it off every night, and have never missed a recording.

With a 508, 721 and 921 in the house, I'm in heaven. :)

Well, I have been thinking of replacing the 508 with another 721! Once the DP44 switch comes out, I'll probably do it. I don't want to run another line or buy another 34 switch.

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I reboot mine only whenever I notice sluggishness. Have only lost one show in 18 months. I leave mine on overnight, but not when leaving the house.

Originally there was a quirk where if you had simultaneous timers set and the unit was left on it would assume that you wanted to continue watching and threw a dialog that truncated about 45 seconds off the beginning of the recording. I don't know if that's been addressed, but consequently I always leave mine off when timers are pending.

Sure wish they'd fix the slo-mo.

10. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Some posters here with lost tuner 2s like I had found the REAL problem was the 721 slight instability on dishpro. Look back I had repeated lost tuner 2s and finally put 508s on the 721 sat leads at the 721 and the 508s ran fine

Dish advanced tech said the only true signal test for a 721 is another 721:( some lost tuners are were software related.

As a last ditch troubleshootinmg attempt I put my 721 on a new dishpro twin, ran the coax in the doggie door and my 721 ran fine.

Bill my advanced tech contact on that was the same one you use.

Why fight rebooting dish in a effort to improve the 508 stability and guide refresh commands every inactive 508 to reboot nightly.

Besides bill unless your 721 is on a UPS it involuntarily reboots any time the poer line burps. Since mine is on a APC UPS it doesnt get that chance
    So my weekly reboot is a good preventive matter.

11. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    When I lost tuner 2 on the 721 and had to RMA it, it was connected to a legacy lnbf. I since then used a DishPro Dish 500 and now a DishPro SuperDish with a DishPro 34 switch and it has not failed since.

12. I love hearing about people who reboot their 721 once a week - as long as its powered off it will reboot itself everynight at 4am local time.

From my testing it won't reboot if its powered on, if a timer will fire or if it was only turned off minutes before.

If you don't believe it - try it...

and dishpro works great with the 721, I'd recommend it over legacy equipment anyday.

The software "bug" that causes the tuners to appear dead can be fixed with an nvm reset from the debug menu.

13. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I wonder why the dish tech csrs don't tell people of the nvm reset when they call to complain of the tuner issue. I had a tuner problem on my second 721 recently, and the advanced tech just rmad it . Now back a year and a half ago I had a csr tell me to do the nvm reset when I had a problem. It wiped my favorite guides and all my timers if I remember correctly. If this reset fixes the tuner problem they should be recommending this instead of rmas on all the failed tuners.

14. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    My contact has said that he has never talked or exchanged e-mail with you.

15. SDiego

SDiego AllStar

May 19, 2003
    nvm reset from the debut menu? hmm, well I am about to buy a 721 today and hope it tells how to do that reset. I am still trying to figure out if I should install the 721 in the current legacy twin, then install the dp quad afterwards? Dish said the 721 dont like the dp quads much. should I stick with the legacy twin and buy a switch instead, so I can have two recievers?

thanks

Ron

16. jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy Legend

Jul 19, 2002
    Best advice- make sure you have the service contract to replace it when tuner 2 goes. Otherwise I have pretty much flawless performance.

17. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    I have the fellows name and direct phone number confirnmed advance tech. legacys get lost tuner 2s too but its more commobn for dishpro. my 508s ran perfectly on the same connections my 721 spazed on.....

18. fr8flyr

fr8flyr Cool Member

May 4, 2003
    I have had my 721 about 3 months now and it has worked perfectly. It worked fine with my legacy switches and works with the DP switches I now have with the SuperDish install last month. I have not had any reboots or timers fail to fire. I currently have 921, 721, 522, and 510 receivers in my house and they all work great. I also haven’t had any of the posted problems with my 921.

Earl

19. TruePlayer

TruePlayer Cool Member

Nov 13, 2002
    I don't think the lnbf makes any difference. I have a DishPro system and my second tuner is out. looks like i need to RMA it. Looks like this will be my third unrelated replacement.

20. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I was not trying to say that DishPro or Legacy makes a difference but trying to state just the opposite that either one could cause a failure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.