1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

got replacement Hopper but none of the 300 recordings on EHD can be copied to it

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by tenwinecans, Feb 10, 2014.

1. tenwinecans

tenwinecans Cool Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Dish replaced my basic Hopper because it was having issues.

I copied over 300 programs to the external hard drive. (selected "all" and the all copied without any issues.... took almost 20 hours) Before disconnecting the old Hopper, I made sure the programs could be watched from the EHD. I also copied a dozen recordings back to the Hopper's own hard drive, just to verify that it worked.

After I received the new Hopper, I activated and let it download whatever software it needed. Everything worked great and all of my timers/setting were restored easily. The next day, I plugged in the external hard drive. All the programs could be watched just fine.

Unfortunately, none of th them could be copied to the new Hopper. I tried the newest recording from Monday, as well as some of the oldest recordings from two years ago. None could be copied, whether it's a 30-minute TV show or 3-hour movie. :(

I reset the Hopper, unplugged the hard drive a few times. Nothing worked...

Is there a way to solve this issue?

Thanks!

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I believe this is a known problem with current Hopper and HWS software, Dish is working on it.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    No real need to copy them back to the Hopper. They can be watched from the EHD. Folks at Satguys generally recommend leaving them on the EHD.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
  5. tenwinecans

tenwinecans Cool Member

Aug 20, 2012
    usually yes, but the external hard drive is probably failing.... :(

6. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    With the hopper you can have 2 EHD's connected at the same time. If you get a replacement EHD you may be able to copy from one EHD to the other.

7. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Nope. You have to go from the EHD--.Hopper-->EHD. To copy one EHD to another would require a live Linux CD or the like attached to a PC.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    not by H, but at least it's possible to manage your EHDs. do backup or whatever with separate recordings under Linux, search for "DishArc"

9. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Good to know, thanks!