1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Government Drafts Pandemic Flu Plan

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From ABC News/AP:

Government Drafts Pandemic Flu Plan
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

To me, it sounds like I should stock up on the hand sanitizer and prepare to work really really long weeks.

2. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    Another example of sloppy science, IMHO. The reported number of cases is certainly not the number of people who have contracted it. I'm sure that some people caught it, had the sniffles a few days, then got better. The 50% mortality rate is specious at best, because we cannot determine (without random blood tests) exactly how many people have really contracted the disease, not just the number of people who have sought medical attention.

I also believe I have a better chance of catching herpes from Halle Berry than I do of catching the bird flu. When will the news media hire scientists to do science reporting?

3. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Boy I sure would like to get herpes from halle barry boy what away to go!!!!

4. ClaudeR

ClaudeR Godfather

Dec 6, 2003
    Here's an e-mail I received yesterday:

Do you know that 'bird flu' was discovered in Vietnam 9 years ago?

Do you know that barely 100 people have died from it in the
    whole world in all that time?

Do you know that it was the Americans who alerted us to the efficacy of the human antiviral TAMIFLU as a preventative.

Do you know that TAMIFLU barely alleviates some symptoms of the common flu?

Do you know that its efficacy against the common flu is questioned by a great part of the scientific community?

Do you know that against a SUPPOSED mutant virus such as H5N1, TAMIFLU barely alleviates the illness?

Do you know that to date Avian Flu affects birds only?

Do you know who markets TAMIFLU?

ROCHE LABORATORIES.

Do you know who bought the patent for TAMIFLU from ROCHE LABORATORIES in 1996?

GILEAD SCIENCES INC.

Do you know who was the then president of GILEAD SCIENCES INC. and remains a major shareholder?

DONALD RUMSFELD, the present Secretary of Defence of the USA.

Do you know that the base of TAMIFLU is crushed aniseed?

Do you know who controls 90% of the world's production of this tree?

ROCHE.

Do you know that sales of TAMIFLU were over $254 million in 2004 and more than $1000 million in 2005?

Do you know how many more millions ROCHE can earn in the coming months if the business of fear continues?

So the summary of the story is as follows:

Bush's friends decide that the medicine TAMIFLU is the solution for a pandemic that has not yet occurred and that has caused a hundred deaths worldwide in 9 years.

This medicine doesn't so much as cure the common flu.

In normal conditions the virus does not affect humans.

Rumsfeld sells the patent for TAMIFLU to ROCHE for which they pay him a fortune.

Roche acquires 90% of the global production of crushed aniseed, the base for the antivirus.

The governments of the entire world feel threatened by a possible pandemic and then buy industrial quantities of the product from Roche.

So we end up paying for medicine while - once again - a major administration player gets the business benefits. Hurray for Rummy.

Just like Haliburton gets the contracts in Iraq and in New Orleans. Hurray for Dick -another administration player.

Just like the oil profiteering that is going on now - Hurray for the Three Musketeers

Wish I owned Exxon Mobil shares (or should I buy Roche instead????).

5. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Don't believe everything uou read in mass distributed emails. rembe the socail security email posted here a few months ago?

6. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Those of you who think this is just a hoax or another example of week-kneed government hacks better think again. Spend a little time to read about the affects of the 1918 pandemic and then think about how much more global we've become in the last 90 years or so.

Think about the status of our hospitals these days and their bed capacity and what's likely to be required when a pandemic hits. In the case of my county, we have about 5-7% of the bed capacity that we'll require. How will we care for those we can't hospitalize? How we deal with all of the fatalities?? The pandemic is likely to go through 3 cycles in a year, affecting about 40% of the work force one way or the other. Think about how dependent our businesses have become on "just in time" inventory systems and then the consequences to us when the materials we need aren't available.

While the current form of the virus is difficult to transmit human to human in part because it requires deep lung hosting, this virus is mutating. What happens when it "swaps spit" with another virus that's easy to transmit human to human and people begin to read about how quickly that new, lethal virus migrates. How many of you with children in schools are going to leave them there?? Want to take an airplane ride or even your local commuter bus? Think about the economic consequences.

And for you "young bucks" out there who think because you're young and healthy and therefore less susceptible to the flu, think again. The mortality rates from the last pandemics were highest for late teens through early 30's.

If you wait for the pandemic to hit before you start to get prepared, you'll have waited too long. Begin to stockpile rations at home (water, canned foods, battery powered radio. Better yet, take a look at some of the better emergency management web sites around (www.metrokc.gov/prepare is one of them) and get educated.

John

7. ClaudeR

ClaudeR Godfather

Dec 6, 2003
    Wow JM - better get in that bubble right away, the sky is falling. Not that it's not possible, but comparing health and knowledge capabilities of 1920's to 2006? Interesting. What channel can I watch the real-time mutation of the virus? Sounds like it will make a good reality show.

8. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Your ignorance is showing. We've had other flu pandemics between 1918 and now. No one can say with any certainty when the next one will hit or how devastating it will be.

The difference between health and knowledge capabilities between 1918 and now is immaterial. What counts is our ability to respond. I have no intention of either panicking or sticking my head in the ground. I am getting better informed and better prepared. If you want to sit on your butt picking your nose, so be it.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.