1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPS Nav

Discussion in 'The OT' started by BobbySteelz, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobbySteelz

BobbySteelz Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Does anyone else in here have GPS navigational systems in their cars?

(Mods if this is in the wrong thread, please feel free to move and accept my apologies)

I have a TomTom GO 910. It has work great for me. I've used it on back roads in western PA, and it has successfully gotten me through the web of ridiculousness that is washington DC.

It also has some pretty cool options, with the bluetooth connection. My entire phonebook is stored on it now, and I can make calls directly from the screen.

Any other tomtom fans out there?

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I don't use Tom Tom, but I have been a GPS fan for several years. I toured the western US in 2004 using Street Atlas USA on my laptop hooked up to a GPS receiver. I also used it on a daily basis when I was traveling a large part of Florida repairing commercial satellite reception systems. Great stuff.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have a pocket sized Garmin that I use for range finding (how many miles and in what direction is something?). I also use it for tracking (creating and keeping a copy of a path traveled).

I'm never lost, so I don't use GPS for directions. :)

4. sarfdawg

sarfdawg Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    This may be the dumbest question out there, but do you have to have a subscription to use GPS systems like Garmin and Tom Tom, or is it free?

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I just got Honda's Navi GPS system, cuz it was installed in our new Honda Odyssey. :)

Alas, this isn't the bluetooth version, but really is nice.

sarfdawg, the Garmin and Honda do not require a subscription but if you want updated data, you do have to buy a new disk when you wish. Honda's is roughly annually available at $185 right now. Garmin's looks to be less $$.

Cheers,
    Tom

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Further: The US Government provides the actual GPS signals used to navigate (your tax dollars at work). That part is subscription free ... so if you don't mind old maps (or buy a unit without maps or with non-updatable maps) you will still find your position.

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I recently bought a Pioneer Avic-D3 and I'm *loving* it. I had a NH-FL trip within a couple of days of installing it and the live NavTraffic information rerouted me around congestion in New York City with the touch of a button. It worked magnificently and I'm *very* happy with it.

8. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The downside of GPS maps is that they are usually a few years out of date. I have Street Atlas USA 2007 on my laptop with a deLorme USB GPS receiver and it has NO info on the subdivision of several hundred homes where I live. The same is true with my Magellan GPS and my daughter in-law's Garmin GPS, both of which have the "latest" versions of their software.

9. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    That is a constant problem with databases that are only updated annually, if that often. I "update" my Street Atlas USA every two years whether it needs it or not.

10. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    must be that us commecial sat people have great minds ... way to many years with street atlas ... 2006 plus right now 2007 soon .... paid for itself too many times to count PS .. run the northeast USA

11. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    updates to "streets" ... all the GPS providers get thier info from the fed ... who gets it from the states ... who gets it from the county/city/town ...... when was the last time you got a quick answer from your local government

12. BobbySteelz

BobbySteelz Godfather

May 24, 2007
    I think other people have touched on this, but if you buy a tomtom product there's no subscription (same with garmin I believe). It comes preloaded with a set of maps. The only cost would be if you wanted to get updated maps.

I know tele atlas (the company that provides maps for TomTom and google maps I believe) has a way that you can contact them about inaccuracies with their maps and other problems on their site. It seems to work pretty well, and it's a good way of circumventing the bureaucracy of our government system.

Teleatlas has a pretty cool program they are doing this summer that I saw in an article...it's called Road Warrior, but it's essentially just people telling different stories about their summer travel stories. I know the ones I have are always pretty interesting (especially the long drives through the middle of nowhere), so I thought it was interesting.

13. BobbySteelz

BobbySteelz Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Hey have any of you seen anything about the Go 720...I heard it kind of mixes between the 910 and the ONE XL...but I haven't seen or heard that much about it.

Let me know.

14. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I use a Garmin GPSMap 60 for mountain biking when I'm off in the woods.. got a handlebar mount for it as well! It has a high gain antenna on it and is perfect for dense tree cover.

15. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    i just received a TomTom one XL a few days ago & so far i really
    enjoy it.....the only prob i found so far is the setup cd had an old
    version of TomTom home.....make sure you go to the TomTom home
    page & update to TomTom Home 2.....it is a much more user friendly
    update(it is a free update)

16. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I've got a Magellan RoadMate 3000T unit, and I'm extremely happy with it!

The unit itself works very well... the only issue I've had is that I purchased the latest Map Update for it, and the "authorization code" did not work out of the box. The dialin tech support line didn't offer a lot of assistance, but I got in touch with the Customer Service Manager at Magellan, and he did a GREAT job of getting me setup!

Very, very happy with the unit!

17. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I just bought a Garmin nuvi 4.5" widescreen-- no subscription needed. It even lists
    some back country dirt roads that Mapquest and Google maps doesn't have

18. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    that seems to be a good unit from the reviews i read....
    but i couldn't find a reputible online dealer that had them
    in stock when i ordered.....i leaned toward the Garmin line
    but so far am very happy with the TomTom one XL i got....
    my exact samsung blutooth phone was not listed as supported
    but i kept trying other listed samsungs & was able to get
    the bluetooth working....when TomTom gets the real time
    traffic updates available for the USA that will be really nice....
    of course that will cost a few dollars i imagine....

19. Snoofie

Snoofie Registered User

May 29, 2003
    I took the GPS plunge this year, but I have yet to receive my Tom Tom One V3 that I ordered from Wal-Mart last week. I can't wait to give it a try.

20. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    might add this advice....the setup cd may come with TomTom Home software...
    it works fine but is kind of confusing in a way....i happened to be on the TomTom
    home page a couple days after i bought it & found an update for TomTom
    Home....it is called TomTom Home2.....if you don't like the original home
    software give the home 2 a try....i like it a lot better....just D/L it & install
    on top of the original Home software....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.