1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Deal On TV!

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by WholeHomeDVR, Mar 30, 2011.

1. WholeHomeDVR

WholeHomeDVR AllStar

Oct 8, 2008
    Going off the grid... Dropping Directv after 11 or more years

Found this unbeleivable deal
    Free DVR - Free HD - Free MRV - Free on demand

What the heck was I paying more than $100/mo for?

Switching to free OTA - HTPC with media share to get all the local networks and the internet, mostly free for cable shows on demand. Even if I get net-flix it is way way less... Or if I have to pay ala-cart for a show or red-box I will still be saving money...

Iv'e had the htpc for years and never hooked it up to the ota antenna on my roof. My locals are crystal clear... I have vista windows media center - but changing to mediaportal. Why use a tivo when the htpc is FREE??

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Been using Win 7 w/Media Center for a while. PC has an HDMI output. Trying to record some stuff OTA in preparation for dropping satellite.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I can do that also, but there is currently no software like Tivo suggestions, that can go out on the internet and download shows you like, so you will have a DVR full of stuff to watch when you get home from work. Using the HTPC for other than OTA, is a P.I.T.A. because you spend more time searching 100's of sites for the shows you want to watch, than actually watching them.

4. WholeHomeDVR

WholeHomeDVR AllStar

Oct 8, 2008
    Why do we need a DVR when everything is available on demand?

There has to be some substitue (website/forum) for suggestions to find new programming?