1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Greta Gerwig to star in How I Met Your Dad.

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by yosoyellobo, Feb 12, 2014.

1. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
  2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Your post lacks basic info surrounding
    her death. - link provided not sufficient.
    Please provide basic details. Thanks.

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Who's death?

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    She's never been on How I Met Your Mother, so I personally wouldn't really call it a spin-off, not sure why they do. More like a sequel or something.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    No one died.

6. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    FINALLY!!!

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Finally what?

8. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Never heard of her. Haven't watched HIMYM for years, deleted over 40 eps at once. Either it got really annoying, or they started phoning it in, or I just outgrew it. Mabe a little of each. Could not wind through that insipid title song fast enough.

I think the contribution of Carter Bays and co. was that they added single-camera elements to the basic 4-camera sitcom. They would regularly shoot 50-60 separate setups for one half-hour ep. So it moved fast, in keeping with our ever-decreasing attention span.

But if you ask that basic question, "do you really want to spend time with these people?" I think the answer has to be "No." Maybe they would be interesting and half as annoying if the quality of writing had not deteriorated, but, unfriend, unfriend, unfriend, unfriend, etc.

I thought it was woefully miscast, especially the highly over-rated male leads. Cobie Smulders is certainly adorable (as is her name), but it really comes down to writing.

Here is a prime example, Alison Hannigan was brilliant, even at age 29 playing a 16-yo improbably bisexual witch on BuffyTVS. Willow Rosenberg was really interesting, because she was a creation of the mind of Joss Whedon and his writing. But Alison Hannigan in this character could only be described by a 4-letter word that none of us could use on this forum. And also a 6-letter word we can use, completely BORING. And that character is NOT written by Joss Whedon.

So expectations for the sequel have been satisfactorily lowered. I don't expect much, but I would not complain about being pleasantly surprised.

9. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Should have posted in the How I Met Your Mother thread. Was referring the the ending.