1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grounding a dish.

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by mbrown2097, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mbrown2097

mbrown2097 Cool Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Hi guys,
    Got DN installed last week and I was checking the installers work. Can you guys tell me what all needs to happen to properly ground the system?

2. mbrown2097

mbrown2097 Cool Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Let me try it this way.
    My dish is mounted to my roof and the only wire coming off of it is the coax. The first thing the coax hits is a splitter in my crawl space which distributes the signal to 2 sets. Isn't this completely wrong?

3. SebastianBlack

SebastianBlack AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    Actually, when the dish is mounted to the roof it should be grounded to the dish footer with a green grounding screw. This screw goes into a pre-drilled hole on the mast foot. The tech should have used a coax with a messenger wire stripped to expose the copper and twisted around this screw. Then the coaxial wire that flows to the ground block should have the messenger wire grounded at the ground block by exposing the copper again into the grounding screw on the ground block.

There should also be a green 10 gaugued grounding wire, copper exposed as well, from the other end of the ground block screw to the grounding rod of the house. This connection should be made with a copper screw and nut for this example. Then the other coaxial cables can go throughout the house into the rooms providing you with satellite television enjoyment.

But there are several grounding techniques, this is the simplest one. hope it helps!!!

Good ole
    SB