1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grouping issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by duckyspawn, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duckyspawn

duckyspawn Cool Member

Oct 20, 2007
    I can group my playlist but when I exit the playlist, the list does not stay in groups. Any idea why or is this a bug?

2. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    Seems to be another fault in the programming.

Yet another feature that needs to get fixed. This seems to be a habit with their brand of DVR. The ONLY reason I got one was because of the HD programming. If TiVo could get all these channels, I'd never get this in the first place.

The HR20 isn't buggy, it's poorly written. There's no complete features in it and some of them are worthless. Why put them in there in the first place?

3. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    Nice rant. Too bad you don't know what you're talking about. This feature for some reason is back door enabled (before you complain, TiVo is famous for back door implementation). You just have to enable it and then your playlist sort can become sticky. Unlike TiVo though you won't lose it after a reboot.

Here's a link to a thread that's discussed it.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=111906&highlight=iamanedgecutter

4. duckyspawn

duckyspawn Cool Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Thanks XAA!

5. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    Why must you back door it? This should be a standard feature. It should also be written in the manual. At least the TiVo back door stuff, for the most part, was different.

6. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    How was it different? Multiple keystrokes to enable a 30 second skip then have it flush on reboot? Multiple keystrokes to sort the playlist at all and then that disappears after reboot too? What are you talking about? Love TiVo all you want. Prefer it if you want, but they're backdoor implementations of basic features stunk and still stinks today. They are the only DVR on the market without a supported 30 second skip feature. You have to join a nerd group like ours or TC to even know about it.

7. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    I'm not here to argue about it. If you love it, that's fine. As for me, this thing needs a lot of improvement. The stupid 50 limit SL. Why on earth would they put a 25 search limit in there? Another thing that lacks intellegence is the recording history. Saying if the show was not recorded because it was over. Huh? What idiot wrote that junk. TiVo, in this area, including the category sort, is far more superior than the HR20's. That is not an opinion. DirecTV is still trying to fix these issues. DirecTV is aware of it.

The fact is, the basic DVR functionality isn't up to par. Now to be fair, it does record my things without missing a beat. I got all the shows I asked for.

Take a built in GPS in a car compared to a portable GPS. The built in GPS will be lacking in basic GPS functionality whereas a portable GPS carries a ton of features. One thing I see on this is that I can only find something in two ways. Nearest and by name. It's not bad but what if I wanted to find that same place in another city? That's what I'm talking about.

I tried both versions, TiVo and HR20 and gave an open mind to the new one. Tried it out for a while only to find out that, most of the time, I have to look things up in their way. No customization is there. Don't like the guide, don't like the search order in the category sort, recording history mostly DVR functions. I especially hate the manual.:D

I don't care about the extras you get in the back door. I buy a DVR to record my shows. That's all. If it isn't related to recording shows, I don't care about it. I like versatility in the DVR. The HR20 to me is more limited in this area than the TiVo was. If I went the other way, meaning, I used the HR20 for 10 years and switched over to the TiVo, my thoughts would be the same. The only thing I would be disappointed in was the slowness of the TiVo.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Uh, typically with the HR20, the backdoor stuff is stuff that is still being tested with plans to put it into production. Not always so with Tivo (30 second skip).

When Tivo put the folders/sort stuff from backdoor to production, they dropped the part I used the most, sort by expiration date. Yeah, lovely, that Tivo production cycle.

To this day, Tivo will not give us a disk usage meter. But the file sizes are on the HD tivo if you go hunting for them. Yay! Real up front stuff.

But you came here just to bash rather than be helpful, so when you get a snootful back, accept it.

9. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    Seems like that's all you're here for. The rest of your rant had nothing to do with the issue of this thread, it's just your restating of your other rant thread.

Just admit you came to this thread pissed about the SL limit, shot your mouth off about something you didn't know about and were wrong. Then you tried to cover it by saying it shouldn't be a backdoor, but TiVo's backdoors are fine. When called on that you just queued your other thread.

It's ok not to like it man but you were just wrong in this thread. Better luck next time.

10. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    As I said, you can like it. I see it needing vast improvement. Pertaining to this issue, I should be able to change the list order by selecting the style that I want out of the selection that I have and it should be done. Period. Is it? No, it's not. Every time we go into the playlist, it reverts back to what it was before AFTER you change it.

Yeah, I took a look at it. I found out what can be done about it and changed it around. The point is, I shouldn't have to do that. Just change it from the "Sort List By" and that should be that. Except it doesn't work. That back door is unnecessary. Like many other areas, there's not much customization there to fit your style.

11. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    Whatever you say man.

Turns out you were wrong about your other rant too (category sort). Me thinks you should do more reading and less ranting.

12. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    You can like it too and speak of it as you wish. You can call the HR20 as the greatest thing that ever existed or it's a piece of crap. It doesn't bother me what you think of it. I can only speak for myself, and I am not alone. Just about everything I said about it, other people agree with me. Why, you may ask? BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!!!!:hurah:

13. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    Besides, everybody. My post called "Category Sort" post #9 sums up the production of the HR20. To this day since the inception of the HR20, there has been nothing but trouble with it. Granted to say, most of the glitches were taken care of to make it more reliable but the programming is still inferior. That means I have limited options on most things programmed into it. Not to say the program is faulty. It's not. Just poorly written. There wasn't that much thought that went into it to make it a powerful utility.

14. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    Seriously, read more because you seem to miss the point completely. No wonder you don't know how to use your DVR after this long.

I didn't say I liked it or didn't like it. I said you shot your mouth off and were wrong in this thread and in the one you created yourself. Yet you continue to shoot it off. I think we understand *your* opinion at this point.

Problem for you is that user error has to be considered by anyone reading your posts. You've demonstrated a lack of knowledge but not a lack of ferocity to gripe.

15. coacho

coacho Legend

Aug 21, 2007
    Bista +1

Too many accept mediocrity.

16. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    So do you. I speak freely as to how I feel about it. There was no thought that went into this package. They threw it together and now I hear that DTV is considering going back to TiVo.

I have both machines. Each has their good points and bad. To my observation, I see that TiVo utilized their screen layout better by giving you the most information they can on one screen. HR20? more worried about the small picture in the upper corner. TiVo has dual tuners and I can use both of them. HR20? One tuner. The other is strictly for recording purposes only. I have the right to criticize the machine and I did. There's nothing you or anybody else can do about it. Got it?

The list goes on. I see the TiVo is far better in the information category than the HR20 is. Even the TiVo's manual is better.

Oh, and I created my own thread discussing what I thought of the unit and you have the right to jump into MY thread and accuse me of shooting MY mouth off??? Buddy, you do it more than I do. At least I don't attack anybody. You do just that. Stop acting like a child. If you can't do that, fine. Just don't respond to the threads I create and everything will be fine.

I'll ask for your permission the next time I want to post something. I'll clear it with you first.

17. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    You crack me up. You didn't create this thread. You jumped in with your same rant from your other thread and shot your mouth off. You continue to do it in an off topic way. I/we have not been discussing whether the HR20 is a good machine or not. Just that you made two rant posts and were wrong about the topic of this thread and using the box incorrectly in your own thread.

Now you don't even know where you are. You crack me up. :hurah: :lol:

18. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Source for DirecTV going back to TIVO? Everything I've read has been to the contrary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.