1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Guess this guy REALLY doesn't like Girl Scout Cookies.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1 of 17
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
  2. Feb 3, 2014 #2 of 17
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    If only the girl scout had a gun to protect herself. ;-)

3. Feb 3, 2014 #3 of 17
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    In the 5 years that my daughter has been part of Girl Scouts and selling cookies, she has never sold a single box of cookies door to door because of our concern for something like this happening.

4. Feb 3, 2014 #4 of 17
    longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I dont have a daughter so I cant say anything there but I cant remember the last time a girl came to my door selling. It is usually coworkers daughters or a troop sets up a table at the grocery store.

5. Feb 4, 2014 #5 of 17
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    In my area they set up a card table and lawn chairs at a convenience store and it seems no matter how many cookies they bring they sell out in a few hours.

Boy scout Christmas wreath sale does the same thing and they do very well too.

Door to door is WAY too scary for even cops these days.

6. Feb 4, 2014 #6 of 17
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm still waiting to hear more information on this before I jump to judgement. I wonder if he actually pulled the gun on the girl and threatened her, or if he answered the door holding a gun because he looked out a peephole and couldn't see anyone standing there because she was too short or something like that.

7. Feb 4, 2014 #7 of 17
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    The guy must live in a pretty bad neighborhood to answer the door with a gun in his hand. I haven't been to Temucla for several years, but it seemed like a pretty nice place the last time I was there.

8. Feb 4, 2014 #8 of 17
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Scary, but a good reason for parents not to have their kids engage in door to door selling. Having had my three kids involved in selling doughnuts, candy, Tom Watt kits and light bulbs back in the day, I understand the fundraising needs. I like several varieties of GS cookies, but at the same time am angered at the low return the scouts actually receive on a box of cookies. When it comes to fundraisers, I'm more inclined to support sales at a church or at a table in front of a store.

9. Feb 5, 2014 #9 of 17
    fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Girl Scouts encourages both - selling door to door and booth sales. Pre-order sales (door to door, parents selling to co-workers, etc.) is where the girls typically earn their incentives (sell 228 boxes for a cheap plastic purse or 2014 boxes for an IPAD, etc..). Booth sales are typically credited to the troop itself.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    "2014 boxes for an IPAD"

That's like $6,000 or more in sales for a sub-$500 device.

11. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Actually it's $7,049 in sales (based on national average of $3.50 a box). ;)

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The Temecula Police Press Release states "When the victim knocked on the suspect's door, he opened the door and pointed a gun at her. The victim's father witnessed the incident".

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    That's still not much to go on. He could be having issues with others threatening him, etc. that is the reason behind him answering the door with a gun. We just don't know. It could be that as soon as he saw the little girl he put the gun away and apologized, or he could have yelled at her and threatened to shoot her. If it's the former then it's just the media out trying to make all gun owners look crazy and all charges should be dropped, if its the latter then he does deserve to be arrested.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm pro gun and am a life member of the NRA but this guy broke one of the golden rules of gun ownership "Never aim a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot".

2 people like this.
  15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    About 7% commission for a $500 device.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Aimed may be a matter of opinion. But if you're going to answer your door with a gun you probably should be aware of which direction it is pointing ... always know which direction a gun is pointing.

17. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    I have no problem with gun ownership...but if I was out on the street or in the car waiting for my daughter while she was at the guy's door and he put a gun to her face and then put it away and apologized, I can't say I would be in much of a mood to accept his apology.

But then again, I guess you never know, how would he know my daughter wasn't packing, right?

Can't win either way, this is what the world has come to.