1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide data gone downhill?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by wje, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    It seems to me that the quality of the guide data has gotten noticeably worse lately. It used to be relatively rare that I would see major shows without proper data. Now, it seems like it's very frequent. Case in point, I have a timer set for new MythBusters. I noticed an entire DAY of repeats scheduled. Looks like the guide data doesn't have the episode number for any of them. I'd also say this seems to have started when E* switched to the Trib for guide data, and it's gone downhill steadily since.

Am I imagining this, or have others noticed this, too?

2. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    AFAIK Dishnetwork has always used Tribune for guide data.

The difference now is that it is credited in the guide.

3. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't noticed that yet. Sure enough I have a day full of old Mythbusters set to record as well. It looks like it's during the Superbowl, perhaps the lack of good data in this case comes all the way from the Discovery Channel itself. Looking at the Discovery Channel website it seems that this is a viewers choice marathon and actual episodes are now listed in their schedule. It could be that Tribune doesn't have the latest data, rather the episodes were just finalized so it hasn't propagated all the way through Tribune and to Dish. I'm going to leave the timers as is, since real episode data may get populated later in the week.

I see this issue alot with my local FOX affiliate. They show re-runs of the Simpsons 4+ times a day. Sometimes the episodes being shown a week out are generic and therefore set to record with my 'new' timer. However, a few days before the show actually airs they typically have real episode info and then are set to skip.

4. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    This matches with my experience. I'm 3 episodes away from completing my Arrested Development collection. All the skips arel season 1 epis that skipped for one reason or another so I've been paying extra attention to the schedule. Sure enough, the stuff 5-9 days out is generic at first, then fills in 3-4 days before the event. Once that happens, the timer sorts out whether or not to skip.

I love how smart these DISH DVR's are!

5. nlk10010

nlk10010 AllStar

Sep 18, 2004
    Yup, not only on Voom (which is often completely wrong) but on other stations as well (e.g. RFD-TV, BBCA, TLC). Either there is incomplete data or the data is completely wrong. It's gotten to the point where I can't rely on my 622 to record "new" episodes because either an episode which is a rerun will be marked new or (worse) a new episode won't be marked as such.

I pay DN, it's THEIR job to straighten this out with whatever company they use to create the guide.

6. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I have a "new" episode-only timer on my 622 for High Stakes Poker on Game. Guess what? The EPG shows the latest episodes as being new although they're actually repeats of past seasons and have already aired on that channel. To make matters worse and cement the fact that it's being done on purpose, the Original Air Dates have been altered as well to show them as new episodes.

Now that really, really makes me wonder who is behind this? ... Tribune, Game or Dish? It amounts to a cheap shot at getting some DVR action going by dooping the viewer's DVRs into recording old programming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.