1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide not populating...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by djtempo, Dec 1, 2013.

1. djtempo

djtempo New Member

Nov 3, 2013
    The Big D.
    OK, so... the customer's Guide info is not populating. There are no error messages, just that the info is displayed for a few hours forward, and then certain channels start showing a "not available" (or some other cryptic...) message in the guide itself. (I do not recall which channels, but far enough out, it's all of them). Far enough out, there's no info at all.

Yes, the customer has waited the suggested "overnight" period for the Guide info to populate. I did the reset-button thing a few times along the way.

According to the customer, DTV had sent a new receiver and Broadband DECA, which were in place, the problem persists.

Last night I was there for the first time, but his FIFTH service call (I guess some people are REALLY patient) and apparently did everything that the previous techs had not: worked on all the outside stuff. Replaced all connectors, found a barrel'd splice connection outside and replaced both the connectors and barrel, replaced the 4-way SWiM switch outside (and it's associated connectors), replaced the ground block and connectors going to it, replaced the run of cable going from the problematic receiver-out the wall-to the SWiM 4-way... in frustration I replaced the SWiM power-supply inside.

It's a HR24-100. There are 3 other receivers in the house (a pair of D12's, and an H24 (I think that's what it was). None of the others are exhibiting any guide problems.

While up on the 2-story roof (well, on the ladder), I replaced the SWiM 3 LNB with a SWiM 5 (since I'd run out of 3's by that time yesterday), but the same error persisted (no Guide population past a few hours to the right). Put the 3 back up since the 5 didn't solve the problem, and I didn't want to leave my last SWiM-5 there. (I think the 5 was used, might not have been the best replacement anyway)

One "odd" thing I noticed while puttering around behind the TV, and near where the wire went out the wall, was that when I moved the DECA, the receiver that was playing fine (minus it's guide being properly populated) suddenly had an Error 774 or 5 error show up (I don't remember which at this point). I moved things again, and the picture started going again. At that, I barrel'd between the in-and-out lines from the DECA just to take it out of the system thinking the DECA might be bad. When I did that, I got another Error Code (77-somthing, in my frustration last night, I wasn't remembering the code numbers) Even with the DECA not in-line, the problem recurred.

My plan of attack, since I'm going back on Monday to continue with this one, is to:

- Replace the LNB and repeak while I'm up there. What the hell, it's an older SWiM-3 LNB, might as well remove that possibility. Probably should just replace the Slimline dish entirely.
    - Replace the cable run from the LNB to the SWiM 4-way. It's a long, troublesome run from the roof to the 4-way, so I'm trying to avoid that maneuver.

With those out of the way, what's left? Anyone have any thoughts?

Chip

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    While it looks like everything was replaced, has nobody thought of replacing the HR24?

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Was a double Menu reset done within 30 minutes of each other? That should tickle a whole new Guide download. Leave it alone at least overnight.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Is there supposed to be a DECA behind the HR24 since they have it built in ?

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I thought all receivers have a second (or 3rd/6th, in the case of DVRs/Genies) tuner for the guide? Couldn't that be going bad in the HR24? I think there's some way to look at the signal strength for that tuner, but I don't remember how to see it. Perhaps if you look at the SWM signal screen you'll see 0% for the first SWM channel if the guide tuner is bad, not sure.

I'm not sure why you're replacing LNBs and crap like that when it is only the HR24 that has the problem. All you have to do is swap its location with another working receiver. If the problem persists in the new location you know it must be the HR24 that is bad. All the rest of that troubleshooting is a complete waste of time, at least as far as tracking down this problem.

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The HR24 does have a built in DECA, but it can't hurt anything to use one. Just unnecessary is all.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    as long as you have an external power supply for the DECA as the HR24 can't power one.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This is where the AIM [meter] is worth the price.
    Checking the levels at the receiver will show if there's a problem with the cabling or not.
    With the receiver already being replaced, "one would think" it isn't the problem, but it might be worth running the diagnostic tests [press select during the reboot screen running receiver self test].