1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide refresh cancels recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pjdavep, Oct 4, 2010.

1. pjdavep

pjdavep Cool Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rcvr HR23-100 Software 0x040D

Yesterday evening, while watching the Sunday night football on NBC, they ran a promo stating that the Ryder Cup finale would air on USA network, starting at 4am. So I brought up the guide and the listing for USA had "Law & Order" running at that time. I set two recordings, the Law and Order at 4am, and extended it by 3 hours, then the same thing at 8am with a 3 hour extension. Around 9am, I realized the recording light was not on, and I see in the DVR history that the two recordings were cancelled by a guide refresh. Bummer!!

Anyway, that's not too user friendly. :mad: I suppose a manual channel/date/time recording would not have been cancelled, and I guess that's what I'll have to do next time. But I do not think my settings should have automatically changed.

Later,
    pjdavep

2. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Right, in those situations a manual recording is the way to go because the box actually did the correct thing. The programs you wanted were no longer available so it didn't record. The surprising part is they updated the guide so quickly.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Not only did a manual record not cancel, when I got up this morning, my Play List said I had recorded the Ryder Cup. Definitely the way to go.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Of course it cancelled. You told it to record Law and Order. Not the Ryder Cup. It is not a VCR. it is a DVR and does program based recording. If you know you are not recording what is in the guide, do what a VCR does an set up a manual recording.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I don't want to be hard on you (others have already seen to that), but the reality is that your settings did not change. What changed is what programs were scheduled at that time. The DVR did exactly what you told it to do according to one of the the basic tenets of how all DVRs operate, which is basically "program no longer available? Then cancel recording".

To do what you actually had in mind (but did not relay to the DVR) is something out of the control of the DVR, and only in control by those who change the schedule. Doing a manual record puts you back in control. You are effectively saying "record this time-slot regardless of what airs there", which is a good option, even user-friendly, when your information is better than the information currently in the guide.

Just telling it to record the programs you know will not air there will rarely work, because it thinks you made your decision based on that program rather than the time slot, which is the basic feature that makes a DVR more user-friendly than a VCR.

I have to disagree that this method is not user friendly. The DVR is not a crystal ball and can't predict the future. The only information you gave it is "I want you to record these particular scheduled shows" when in reality you knew very well that you wanted something completely different, although it is easy to see from a VCR-think point of view, that you may have thought you asked it to record the time-slot itself. But no DVR can predict a schedule change or read your mind. There really should be no surprise that if the schedule changes; it will cancel recording shows that are no longer scheduled there. That's on purpose.

But I will definitely admit that it is not intuitive. I think we've all had to make that intuitive leap at least once (which fixes that particular problem) either on our own or due to making the very same mistake. We all came from VCRs, from time-slot recorders, and the paradigm shift is a severe one to program-based recorders, even though that shift was about 10 years ago or more.

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I will have to disagree that it is not intuitive. Intuitive means it is obvious when you have no preconceived notions. Since we all started on VCRs, we have been trained to think as a VCR thinks. If we were presented with program based recording without our experiences with VCRs, we would think it was perfectly normal that it would record the program and not the time slot.

I do agree that it is a paradigm shift for those who aren't used to program based recording that DVRs do and it is counter to our experience. But non-inutitive? Nah.