1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Update

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by madbull, Dec 12, 2011.

1. madbull

madbull New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    I have H24 rcvr. On 12/8/2011 Directv sent down new soft ware for it that changed the color of the guide from blue to black and some other changes in guides layout. Is there anyway I can get the old guide color back? I have checked all the setting things and cant find anything the give me an option. I can put up with the new layout, but don't like the color. Anyone know how I can get the old one back?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Even if you were to force the older version back on your receiver, the black one would come back.

3. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    What you have is the new HDGUI that was written from the ground up which improves guide speed for most of the HD and HDDVR receivers. You probably won't see a dramatic increase because you have the latest model with a faster processor in it. The older ones, HR20 through HR23 will benefit more. Like VOS said, even if you could go back to the old SDGUI you wouldn't be able to keep it long because your receiver would redownload it automatically. The new HDGUI is here to stay and unfortunately there is no way to customize the colors or fonts used in it.

4. sloh002832

sloh002832 New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    And I wouldn't suggest unecasary forced downloads I've fried many boxes that way.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While I'm not suggesting to force a download, "frying a box" never happens.
    Ever so rarely, a box will become unresponsive, but even these times, very few of these have ever "bricked".
    My sample size for this must be in the thousands or tens of thousands by now in 5 years.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, frying a box is unlikely, unless the hard drive was going out anyway. In this situation, it's just a moot point to try to go back.

7. madbull

madbull New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Thanks for all the info and advice guys. Guess I might as well get used to it. Funny though, I have 2 h20's, a h21, and the h24, the h24 is the only one the guide changed on. Maybe they will give us a color choice later.

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've had DirecTV for 11 years.

In the past, I had Hughes, RCA, Sony, and other brands of receivers. Each different brand had a different remote, different user interface (and colors), different guide layout and options, etc. I got used to it and learned 'em all.

Then the brilliant minds at DirecTV decided this was too inconvenient so they began branding their own receivers. And they also began branding their own remote. Now, everything was standardized-the user interface, the remote, everything. Everyone had the same remote. Every receiver had the same user interface and command structure. Great!

Here comes 2011 and a NEW group of brilliant minds at DirecTV decide that folks with HD boxes need an HD user interface so for the 30 seconds or so that one is selecting a channel or program to view they'd get a sharper picture. They also decide that the colors, layout, command structure, etc. must also change. Of course, the SD receivers/DVR's don't support the change (which millions and millions of customers still have) so it's back to the old days again!!

And soon we will have another DirecTiVo which has a different remote and a TOTALLY different user interface...

Don't you just love it??? :nono2:

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    ^ I don't see any difference, OH WAIT I've got all HD hardware... nevermind

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Your H21 should be getting it soon. Your H20s won't.

11. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Yeah I feel the same way. I have been a TV watcher for 40+ years. I remember when we just had 1 channel in black and white for a few hours a day.

Then some brilliant minds decided we needed 2 and then 3. And they had different programs and we had to learn how to change channel.

Then some other brilliant minds decided we needed color. So I had to learn how to adjust my mind not to interpret different shades of gray to different colors.

Later another set of brilliant minds decided we needed 600+ channels and a new user interface and remote to be able to select them all.

They call it "progress".

Don't you just love it??? :nono2:

[/SARCASM]