1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H10 Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by carl6, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have an opportunity to buy a used H10 receiver (mfr code 200) (not HR10 dvr). In searching the forums, I find many discussions regarding it being a substantially poorer OTA receiver than the H20. Also, it appears that at least initially it had problems with the HDMI output.

I recall reading someplace, and I am now unable to find it, that the H10 would work as an OTA receiver without being activated with D*. As such, it would obvioulsy not get guide info, but would still be usable to tune OTA digital channels. Can anyone verify this?

Also, if it proves to be an acceptable OTA receiver in my specific application/location, and obviously limited to MPEG2 with D* service, any other particular concerns or issues I should look into before making a decision. I know it will be from a clean account so activation should not be an issue (other than owned versus leased maybe).

Lastly, what would be considered a fair price? Looking at ebay, I see about a dozen, but most are in early stages of bidding, so can't tell where they will end up. Two have a buy now price of around $100 to $120.

Thanks for any comments.

Carl

2. dsanbo

dsanbo Legend

Nov 25, 2005
    Carl6.....
    It's my understaning that the H10 requires satellite activation in order to utilize the OTA function....I can't speak from personal experience on this, though.....
    As for pricing the H10.....Since H20s are now going for $99 MSRP in major retail outlets like BB and CC.....it's unlikely anyone would be willing to pay MORE for what's soon to be an outmoded unit....I'd hold off on dropping my cash onto eBay just yet.....;)

3. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks. Not buying from ebay, and agree $99 would be the top end given I can lease an H20 for that upfront cost. But would consider buying the H10 if I can use it simply as a digital tuner without adding it to my account. I don't have an HD tv, and am really only looking at the possibility of getting a digital tuner for relatively cheap. I am in a strong signal area, so the poorer ota tuner performance probably won't be a major factor. I'll have the chance to test it before commiting.

Carl

4. Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    The H10 works fine for OTA w/o activation. However, it can not boot w/o a satellite connection.

5. kd4ao

kd4ao Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    It appears that the H10 will not receive OTA HD without a Satellite connection. was hoping to use it for OTA HD as I did a defective E86, which DTV replaced with the H10, no luck.

6. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    So if I am understanding Stephen, and KD4AO correctly, an H10 connected to a satellite feed, but without being activated on the account, will receive OTA digital signals, correct? Connecting to a sat feed is no problem, I've got 3 SD dvr's running now.

Carl

7. Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    Actually, let me rephrase -- the H10 must be initially connected to a D* dish so it can retrieve satellite info on boot up. It will then work just fine for OTA, including retrieving OTA guide info if you leave it connected to a satellite. You can disconnect the sat feed and it will still work fine, but no more guide info. I had one working this way for a few months. I've since replaced it w/an activated HR10-250.

Note, however, that the unit occasionally reboots all by itself, so you need to have sat feed handy to get it back up whenever this happens.

But here's a neat trick if your short of coax feeds -- I split a sat feed just using a regular coax splitter and sent the power-side split to my HDVR2 and the other side to the unactivated H10. The H10 continued to obtain guide data and my HDVR2 operated perferctly fine, ie. was able to change channels, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.