1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H20-600 Dead???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hakras, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakras

hakras New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Over the past week the receiver would briefly display "Searching for Signal" and then go back to the show. It was infrequent and since I don't watch tv from this room very much I didn't worry about it. Last night, I tried to turn on the receiver, but got the "Searching for Signal" permanently. I tried resetting through Menu-Setup-Reset without success. I went into the signal meter section and was getting zeros for everything. This morning I called CSR and they had me check the connections and reset from the red button. This was also unsuccessful. The CSR said they think it is a connection issue and scheduled a service call. Tonight, I brought the H20-600 downstairs and swapped it with my H20-100. The H20-600 doesn't work downstairs either. This puts the connection issue to rest. Therefore, I can only assume this is a receiver problem. Does anyone know if I can "factory default" the unit? I am thinking that since I'm not able to receive a signal, the service call will just get me a receiver swap. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    I had a -600 that would do that. It was a heat problem. I put a Targus model PA248 laptop cooling pad upside down on it, and it's been running fine ever since. It was new when I bought it, and I didn't want somebody else's refurb, so I kept it and added a fan to the other -600 as well. Then I did the HR20-700's and brought them down 25 degrees. I know they're rated to run at 125 degrees, but heat in electronic equipment is never a good thing.....

This may not be the problem with yours, but at least unplug it from the wall long enough to let it completely cool, and then re-start it, or otherwise cool it before you give up on it.

3. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    You can do a reset everything through the menu's that will restore it - but there could just be a problem with the tuner on the back of the receiver as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.