1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H20-600 picture pixelates

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by KVH, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KVH

KVH Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    We have a client who previously had a 3LNB dish with (2) H10's up in northern Wis. We upgraded him to the Slimline 5 dish and (2) H20-600's. Signal from the dish is screaming using a birdog meter. After the install, the H20 for the kitchen tv pixelates as if you loose signal every once in a while only on HD channels. The H20 in the Gr Rm does it as well, but not that often. We did not have this problem with the H10's and we even mounted the new dish as high as we can go for a better signal.

Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this? The "cabin" is a 3hr drive from our shop so an info we get before going back up would be great.

2. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    When I went from 3LNB to 5LNB I had to move the dish horizontaly about 20 feet in order to pick up all the birds, including the one where the HD channels of my interest were located. Is the drop outs associated with wind? Perhaps a tree is encroaching on the HD stat bird, or the dish is moving, that 5LNB can pick up more wind than the smaller 3LNB dish. Could something be occationaly driving by (airplane perhaps).

3. KVH

KVH Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    The day we installed the dish, it was windy, and we thought that might be part of it.
    But it has continued to pixelate after that day according to the home owner. The weird thing is one H20 does it more than the other which points to the box.... if that makes sense.

4. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Are all TP's coming in good? Does it pixelate on every channel or just select ones? Is the house cable good quality?

5. KVH

KVH Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    It will pixelate on any HD channel. Not on SD. Although we only checked a few things when we were there. End of the day and we needed to drive home (3hrs).
    The house cable is good.... we ran it. RG6Q.

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 15
    KVH

KVH Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    anyone else have an idea? We are planning to go back up on the 19th.

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 15
    Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    Possibly re-do the cable ends, be sure to check the dish alignment... All the stuff mentioned above - the stuff you know already. :) Other than that, could be a bad LNB, bring a spare...

Your symptoms sound like a poor signal delivery... Also, if you have extra H20s, try one of them as well, one you know that works - at your home or in the office.

8. KVH

KVH Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Well, I'm going back up this Friday... I'm bringing 2 new boxes to test against, and maybe even move the dish but I don't see that helping. Hoping for the best!!!

9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Is it pixelating just on the new HD channels? Your Birddog meter will not show the signal strength from the 103(b) satellite, so if you just align the 5-lnb dish using the 101 and 119 satellites the way the installation manuals tell you, you won't necessarily get a good signal on 103(b). Check the signal strengths on 103(b). You should get 80s across the board on 103(b) - if you don't then the dish needs re-aligning.
    You really need a meter like the Accutrac III that can see 103(b), and also 99(a) when it comes on line in late 2007/early 2008. If you don't have a meter that will read 103(b), you will have to use the signal meter on the H20 to adjust the dish slightly to get the best 103(b) signals. Getting the dish level is supercritical when trying to get a decent signal on 103(b).
    When you do this you will probably find signals from all the other satellites improve slightly also.

10. steveken

steveken Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    Exactly, I agree with Texasbrit. Your problem is stemming from the fact that your test equipment was not good enough to do the job. You need to use the Accutrac III as it will show you everything (as of now anyway). But, if you can't get the new meter before going, you really need to check the signal strength on the box itself. Have someone in there calling out the strengths while you are adjusting the dish. Use a cell phone, thats what I did. My bluetooth headset came in real handy while trying to align my dish.

These new sats are VERY VERY sensitive as the beam is much more narrow than what you are used to. Chances are you have the elevation slightly off. That is what was up with mine. Use the fine adjust knobs while tuning the dish and your customer will be up and running in no time!

11. captdusty

captdusty Mentor

Jul 13, 2006
    Maryland
    Signal levels might not be the problem, though. At my workplace, I've got all sats in the mid-to-high 90's, but I have 2 (out of a total of 10) H20-600s that just break up periodically for no good reason. Swapping cables with a nearby trouble-free receiver does not fix the isssue. I think they might be bad receivers and am considering exchanging them.

12. climo

climo New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    My H20 seems to pixelate alot more now also. Mine started right after the last update. It happens on most of the HD channels either DTV or OTA. Before the update I hardly noticed it. I doubt my dish has moved.....I believe its the update.

13. stroebeljc

stroebeljc Cool Member

Nov 6, 2007
    I have also noticed a significant increase in pixelation (and even audio dropouts on one channel), but only on the OTA channels. All DTV channels are fine. This problem started right after I received software update 0x2024, so I am looking forward to getting 0x2042 to see if the problems go away.

14. Swede

Swede AllStar

Aug 15, 2007
    I have pixelation problems, but only on the OTA channels. I have the new national release (0x2042). I did not have this problem with 0xF14. If I use the tuner in my TV (Sony Kd34XBR960) the picture is perfect.

15. stroebeljc

stroebeljc Cool Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Are you sure it is 0x2042 and not 0x2024? If it is 0x2042 and you are still seeing this problem, then I will be PO'd!:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.