1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H20-600 slow death, protection plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wcalifas254, Oct 13, 2009.

1. wcalifas254

wcalifas254 Mentor

Sep 23, 2007
    I still have my H20-600, I also noticed it running hot even when its not on. I've read the post about it having problems. Mine fortunately has been doing ok and hasn't given me any real problems yet. I know it's probably going through a slow death, and have noticed part of the access card has changed color due to the heat the receiver gives off. My question is, when my receiver goes dead can I buy the protection plan, then wait a few days or week and then call D*** and have it replaced without having to renew a 2 yr. commitment that would normally apply without the protection plan. What do you guys think?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    All you need to do is tell them it is running dangerously hot, and they'll replace it. That particular model has well-known issues and will be replaced (for that reason) with very little resistance.

3. wcalifas254

wcalifas254 Mentor

Sep 23, 2007
    I do want to do that but the thing is that I want to avoid the new 2 year commitment if I get a new receiver. So if it goes dead I'll want to get the protection plan and then call D*** to get another receiver without having to commit for 2 more years. How long after I get a protection plan can I use it for a dead receiver? Anyone know?

4. swillotter

swillotter Mentor

Nov 7, 2008
    i have been at numerous service calls where the customer called in and complained about their h20-600 running hot, lines through the screen, pixelation, access card brown and the csr rep told them that there was no known issue with this receiver. they send me out on a service call. the only problem of course is the receiver but now we are required to bring the job up to code so expect the technician to basically rebuild your entire system. such as relocating your dish if on the facia, changing all connectors in the system even behind your wall plates, changing your wall plates to the blue "high frequency" kind and possibly replacing all cables outside if the previous install was done with staples. so if your system is old expect them to be there for quite a while

5. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    when you take out the proteceion plan you have to wait 30 days (they don't charge you for that 30 days) you just have to wait then in goes into effect.

6. Nov 5, 2009 #6 of 13
    kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    In my case, Protection Plan declined to do anything until it actually dies as it's otherwise working perfectly, just running about 50 degrees F hotter than the H20-100s in the house.

I had called earlier about the recall, and was told "if you received a 600 during your new install, it's not subject to the recall."

7. Nov 5, 2009 #7 of 13
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    This has been an issue (with the H20-600's) now for some time - note this thread on the topic:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=138686

There was a recall for these units that get hot - and they need to replace yours.

I'd call them back, reference the recall on these and that yours is hot, and you want them to replace it - an extention of your 2 year agreement should NOT be necessary.

8. Nov 5, 2009 #8 of 13
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Not all -600s have been recalled.

Turn the box over, does it have a ECO 2.0 or 3.0 sticker on the bottom? If so, the box either has been already modified or not subject to the recall.

Just because it's "hot" does not mean its defective.

9. Nov 5, 2009 #9 of 13
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    According to D*, having a defective receiver replaced with or without the PP is not supposed to start a new commitment. However, CSR's have been known to make mistakes and erroneously renew the commitment when activating a replacement receiver. The best way to prevent this is to mention it to the CSR when activating, and then call back a few days later to verify your commitment date. If it's wrong, you'll need to send e-mail to the VP to have it corrected. The only difference between replacing a receiver under the PP and is that there is no charge. Without the PP, they will likely charge $19.95 S&H.

10. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Update:

I called protection plan.

They came out and said the receiver was running very hot.

They said they can't do anything until it actually fails.

11. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I would not be so concerned over the internal temperature, but if the outside temperature of the casing is over 130F, I'd call D* back and demand a replacement, explaining that it is capable of delivering third-degree burns just a few seconds. I don't think they want to deal with a personal injury lawsuit.

12. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm sure someone in the corporate offices would care about that, and am equally sure the reps on the phone and/or the supervisors of techs in the field who would otherwise allow them to replace boxes would not. :(

13. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    FWIW, the second tech PP sent out happily replaced the toasty H20-600.