1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

H20 New Software Update?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by maineengineer, Sep 14, 2012.

1. maineengineer

maineengineer Mentor

Apr 7, 2006
    If there are any H20 receivers left in the field, besides mine (humor), you will note that there appears to have been a new software update in the last few days, the first in a couple of years I understand, to version 0x420A. We'd be VERY curious if anyone can provide information as to what it contains, as nothing seems apparent at the user level. I would have thought that they would be trying to phase out this older model, rather than updating it. I've kept mine for the integrated OTA tuner, and with an external fan it hasn't burned up yet. Thanks.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    At least you can see some historic data at www.redh.com/dtv (I mean date, version and size ).

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I will ask but I believe it's just under the hood stuff. In fact the H20 has been phased out for some time; DIRECTV techs are supposed to replace them at no cost when they see them, and give you an H24. You can call DIRECTV and they can get you an AM21 for the off-air stuff.

4. maineengineer

maineengineer Mentor

Apr 7, 2006
    I had presumed as much, but as my screen name would indicate I'm always very much interested in the under-the-hood stuff. It was at least a mild curiosity to me that after two years there would be reason enough to apply software design time and effort to an outdated receiver, so I'm wondering after all that time what bugs needed to be fixed, or what needed to be added or deleted, that sort of thing. Thank you for asking.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I would be extremely surprised if we ever found out. I believe that software isn't even developed by DirecTV in house.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would say that tech are supposed to replace an H20 receiver with an HD receiver, there is no guarantee that a customer would get an H24

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    It's based on NDS and DTV code/libs but developing by each manufacturer for its models.

8. dudester

dudester Cool Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I just received another replacement h20 last week and when I plugged it in , it had a high pitched squeel. Just received another replacemnt h20 today. Rep said they where going to recomend me getting a h21 but i guess they must have a warehouse of reconditioned h20s left.

9. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Was this from a D* employee or a contractor?

10. dudester

dudester Cool Member

Feb 16, 2012
    It was a replacement reciever from Directv customer service. Receive a new replacement yesterday and it also is a h20 with the same squeel. It quited down after while but when i turned it OFF it squeeled while off. You can here it 20 ft away. Customer service is now requesting a tech look at it.

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    security updates?

HDCP? updates

12. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    It's likely a cooling fan. I can't think of anything else in there that would actually move. Do you have anything placed on top of the unit?

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    don't discard hard drive, some of them very soundly living

14. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    In a H20? This isn't a DVR.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    oops

forget about it :)

16. dudester

dudester Cool Member

Feb 16, 2012
    There is no cooling fan, it was definatly a electrical issue possibly from the power supply. Tech came out yesterday and put in a h21. As soon as the h20 was plugged in he said well thats no good. When the old h20 warmed up it died down but chirped when changing a channel. When it was turned off it started squeeling loudly again and was hard to get turned back on. These where both h20-100 that they sent to replace a-600. Never had noise from 600 in same position , just heat and finally went dead after 6 years.