1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H20 RF?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mbrown520, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    I recently got a HR21 on love the use of the RF remote. Decided I would wall mount my bedroom TV and move my H20 into my closet and use RF to control. Much to my surprise however, my H20 doesnt support RF remote. Is this correct or am I just not doing something right? If I am correct is there something I can buy to convert to RF?
    Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Both models of H20 [-100 & -600] should be RF capable.
    You need to connect the remote antenna to the back and use a remote that has an RF mode.

3. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    After reading about it in a post here I took a short piece of coax with a connector on one end and stripped about 8in down to the copper wire. Attached it to the antenna port with the bare wire out of sight and had an extra HR20 remote (can't remember the model, RC64 maybe?) that I'm now using with it. I get pretty good reception with it, the H20 in our bedroom is also tied to a TV in the master bath. It runs the box no problem through the walls at a max distance of about 20 feet.

4. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    OK..so my H20 should be able to do it but when I used the exact same method that got my HR21 working it still didnt work. Basically I just went through the menu on the HR21 and voila it worked. Tried same with H20 and no luck. I am using the orginal remote that came with my H20, is this remote not RF capable? The HR21 and H20 remotes do look a bit different.

5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    You can tell a remote is RF by the FCC sticker on the back of the remote.

When setting up the H20, you have to enter the last 6 digits of its receiver ID #, which will be different from your H21 receiver.

6. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    I didnt have to enter the receiver number when I set up my HR21....when I tried going through the menus for the H20 it never asked me for that either. Also, are you saying that if it does not have an FCC label then the remote is IR only?

7. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Then neither remote were ever in RF mode.

Lets try it, enter the menu:

1. menu> settings> setup> remote> IR/RF>

2. you will see either IR or RF, tap whichever to reveal both

3. pressing either RF or RF and done

The remote won't work any longer, now do the following on the remote:

a) dtv

b) press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks

c) enter 9 6 1

d) press CH UP

e) enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment

f) press SELECT

Yes, unless the sticker fell off. RF directv remote models include urc-2082/3, rc24, rc32rf, rc34, rc64r, and rc64rb.

8. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    Appreciate the help but still no luck...I dont get it. Have a RC24 remote, went through all the steps 4 times and still no dice. Do I have to have an external antenna plugged into the H20?

9. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    The RC24 in NOT an RF capable remote. You need an RC64R or RC64RB or RC24r (there are some others) to be RF capable. The remotes that have RF capability have an FCC ID sticker on the back side. If your remote does not have that sticker then it it not capable of RF.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes [as I posted] you need to have an antenna connected to the H20 for the RF remote to work.
    The RC 24 IS RF capable [and is what came with the H20 when they first came out].

11. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    Excellent...thank you, wasnt sure if the antenna was required or just added for increased reception as my HR21 didnt need an antenna. Furthermore, although I have the RC24 there is no FCC sticker on it (probably came off) so I was beginning to think it wasnt RF capable. Dont know where the antenna is (if it ever came with one) so I will give the coax trick mentioned earlier in this thread. Thanks so much for the help.

12. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
  13. frogg

frogg Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Having had trouble with very limited rf range on my H21-200, I tried this gadget, and it works well. It sends a rf signal from the battery/transmitter and the flying saucer sends an ir signal to the receiver. Good range, much better than the built-in rf in the H21. But lots of key-bounce (multiple taps triggered by key press.) Don't know why the rf response on these receivers, especially the newer ones without an external antenna, is so poor. No one has been able to explain this to me, either.

14. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    This worked great for me Edmund...thanks for the pm.....just curious...how does the remote know to recognize the tv, ie I have a Sharp LCD and after I followed your instructions the tv powered off etc........

15. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Well.........actually there is a problem.... it does not recognize the tv......the volume key etc doesn't work...I went to the remote setup on the menu and tried all of the codes for sharp tvs and none work.....so I can control the HD-100 receiver but not the tv itself......... The remote I am trying to program is the RC34 which has bigger buttons then the RC24-which works fine.........

16. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    My sticker on the remote may have fallen off. Inside the battery compartment a small label says URC2482RG0-0. Is this an RF model?

I would try setting it up to find out but I remember doing that when I first got the receiver with no antenna. It was a bitch getting it back to IR when it wouldn't work without an antenna. I have an antenna now.

Jack

17. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    I looked again and the remote says RC 32 at the upper left corner. But I still don't know if it's RF. Does this info help?

Jack

18. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    The rc32 isn't a RF remote, the rc32rf with backlighting is RF.

19. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    Edmund,

Thank you for that information. I noticed that my DVR remote is a RC64R and does have a FCC sticker on the back. Am I correct in assuming it will work with my H20 non-DVR receiver?

Jack

20. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes it will work with your H20.