1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H20 & SWM - No SWM in Satellite signal menu?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by sdlevi27, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Aug 3, 2008 #1 of 36
    sdlevi27

sdlevi27 Mentor

Sep 20, 2004
    I noticed on both my HR20's the SWM appears as a Satellite in the signal meter. However, on my H20 (which I'm having major stability problems with after the SWM install) there is no SWM option in the Satellite signal menu. However, the SWM does appear under the Info menu (SWM Firmware and Library version).

My setup is:

SWM1 --> Power Pass Splitter --> PI --> HR20 #1
    |--> HR20 #2
    |--> H20
    Legacy #1 --> D10
    Legacy #2 --> D10
    Legacy #3 --> D10

All BBCs are removed. All unused splitter ports have 20' coax runs used as terminators (until I can order real terminators)

The D10's and HR20's are working flawlessly, however the H20 refuses to work for more than a few minutes (problems are usually Error 771 or "Multi Switch Problem").

I'm moving the H20 to SWM #2's output now. Any other suggestions? I also tried powering everything off, powering on the SWM, then powering on the H20, then the HR20s. Not much luck there either.

2. Aug 3, 2008 #2 of 36
    krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
    What is the signal range for the splitter you are using?

3. Aug 3, 2008 #3 of 36
    sdlevi27

sdlevi27 Mentor

Sep 20, 2004
    It's a SWS-8, 2-2.1Ghz DirecTV branded splitter. I got it from Solid Signal.

No luck moving the H20 directly to the SWM2 port. My next move would be to remove everything except for the PI and the H20.

Maybe the splitter needs real terminators and not just long coax runs?

Also, which dish type should I choose? I assume the 5LNB Multi Sat.

4. Aug 3, 2008 #4 of 36
    j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Which version of the firmware is on your H20? Mine went pretty fruity with the most recent national release after running fine on one of the prior Cutting Edge (CE) release versions. I was getting blank channels, reg channels that would pop up as PPV, etc. Since Friday's CE release things seem to be back to normal and with this CE cycle they've added a signal strength meter for SWM. Of course now the earliest another CE download would likely be available is next Fri/Sat nights.

Don't know if you participate in the CE program to help DTV beta test new firmware versions but the link below has additional information. This isn't for everyone because since these are test versions of software so they can be a bit buggie on occasion but our feedback helps the DTV folks troubleshoot the software a little faster. Click here for more info on the CE program

5. Aug 3, 2008 #5 of 36
    sdlevi27

sdlevi27 Mentor

Sep 20, 2004
    The SWM firmware is 1.0.8. Yeah, I'm familiar with the CE program. I'll give it a shot next Saturday.

6. Aug 3, 2008 #6 of 36
    webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I am also having all sorts of problems with my "H" receivers. But my HR21 is working awesome.

So here is my issues: I have the SWMLine ODU to an approved 4-way splitter. I have two H21's but only one is having all the issues. Nothing is diplexed, there are a couple of single splits that run cables together but nothing the HR 21 doesn't have. I have to menu reset the H every night, it works for a few hours, I go to sleep, and it searching sat again in the morning. While it's working I have 1.0.11 and 1.0.8

I have a more detailed description in the sticky thread up at the top that hasn't gotten too many hits so I thought I would chime in.

If all else fails I may just order another HR21 and replace the one H21 but I would like to figure it all out.

7. Aug 3, 2008 #7 of 36
    sdlevi27

sdlevi27 Mentor

Sep 20, 2004
    Update: I unplugged everything, let it sit for 2 hours, plugged in the PI, plugged in the H20 and it works fine now. Now I'm powering up the HR20's. If that's when the H20 starts to fail then I think it's a problem with the splitter and/or the lack of terminators.

8. Aug 3, 2008 #8 of 36
    Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    Terminators are cheap and they sell them at home depot & lowes.

9. Aug 3, 2008 #9 of 36
    sdlevi27

sdlevi27 Mentor

Sep 20, 2004
    The H20 started to fail as soon as the first HR20 came online. Off to get some terminators...

10. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Keep us updated.

I plan on taking out one of my single split connectors and seeing if that fixes it but I don't believe it will.

11. sdlevi27

sdlevi27 Mentor

Sep 20, 2004
    I fell like this has turned into my personal blog....:)

Went to Home Cheapo and got terminators, a new splitter and a new 3 ft coax between the SWM and the switch (previous coax was about 6 ft long).

Terminated all connections. No change. Tried moving the H20 from SWM2 to the splitter. No change. Swapped out the coax between the SWM and the splitter.

Next step is to swap out the splitter and try again....updates to follow..

BTW, any harm in me just running the H20 off the Legacy 1 port (I know I wont have any MPEG4 stations)

12. sdlevi27

sdlevi27 Mentor

Sep 20, 2004
    Switched out the splitter with a 1x4 splitter from HD. Same results (works for about 5 minutes, then I get Searching for Satellite)

Only thing I haven't tried is moving the H20 to a room where I have the HR20 hooked up (to prove it's not the wiring). If that still fails, then it absolutely must be the H20.

13. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Interesting.

I am kinda suprised that more people haven't had problems with the H recievers with SWM. You having the SWM8 and me having the SWMLine. Granted mine is the H21 not 20 but it sounds as if we are getting the same results. Also mine will last for a couple of hours before Searching for Satalite come up.

When you try the switch to the HR location you will have to tell us your results. Good luck!

14. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    The H20 does not show the SWM as a "satellite". Given what you are describing I would guess that any splitters or diplexers you might have are interfering with the H20. By the way, the H20 is very "persnickety" about SWM. I have had troubles in the past. Making sure that the splitters are rated correctly helps.

15. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    As far as I know I have seen this specific splitter being used by others on this board ... weather they have an H reciever is another story. Also I have one H21 that is working flawlessly farther away from the SWMLine then the one that isn't working well.

Thanks for your input. I will look into a different splitter .... since they aren't too expensive.

16. sdlevi27

sdlevi27 Mentor

Sep 20, 2004
    FYI, I swapped out the H20 for an H21-200 from Best Buy and it's been working like a champ with the SWS-8 D* splitter.

I'm now a happy camper.

17. hfgarris

hfgarris Cool Member

Apr 8, 2008
    I am trying to move my 3 H20s to the SWM distribution so I can replace the Zimwell with a second SWM-8. Two of the receivers seem to work fine, but one refuses to see the antenna.

It is a H20-600 with software 0x407E ... but it doesn't show any SWM firmware version! The 2 that are working have SWM firmware 1.08 in the test status listing. Is there any way to get the non-SWM receiver working on SWM?

Thanks for any suggestions
    Howard

18. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    "I am trying to move my 3 H20s to the SWM distribution so I can replace the Zimwell with a second SWM-8. Two of the receivers seem to work fine, but one refuses to see the antenna.

It is a H20-600 with software 0x407E ... but it doesn't show any SWM firmware version! The 2 that are working have SWM firmware 1.08 in the test status listing. Is there any way to get the non-SWM receiver working on SWM?

Thanks for any suggestions
    Howard"

The only thing I can think of is forcing a download of 0x407E to the affected receiver...

19. hfgarris

hfgarris Cool Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Is there a secret to getting the forced download to work? I do a RB reset, then at the first blue screen enter 0-2-4-6-8 and nothing unusual happens. The receiver proceeds on to the next blue screen, followed by the "searching for satellites" page, then the guide download page. What am I doing wrong?

Is the "SWM firmware" part of the download? This receiver doesn't show a "SWM version ###" in the test status, where my other H20s do show "SWM version 1.0.8" firmware.

Thanks,
    Howard

20. hfgarris

hfgarris Cool Member

Apr 8, 2008
    BTW: I try the forced download while connected to the "Legacy Port" of the SWM-8