1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H21-100 new install - no HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by huskernut, Oct 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. huskernut

huskernut New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Up until about a week ago, I had two TVs with DTV, one with an HR-21 and the other just a standard reciever.

Recently upgraded my non-HD second DirecTV reciever to a new HD reciever, model HR20-100. I bought it at Best Buy to avoid the month long wait DirecTV had given me over the phone to setup and deliver it themselves. (No drop ship available) After setting it up and activating it, I was not recieving all of the HD channels or any local channels. I wasn't getting any channels below 74 or so. The only HD channels I'm getting are in the 70s.

I have my main reciever, the HR21, on my second main HDTV and get all the HD channels and locals just fine, but no such luck on this new one. I called DirecTV to try and sort out the issue with the new reciever over the phone, and after 30 minutes and exhausting all of their troubleshooting advice, they are now telling me I need to pay $80 for a service call so one of their tech guys can look at it.

I'd like to avoid paying that $80, obviously, so figured I would check and see if anyone on here has any tips/advice? I live in Lincoln, NE if that matters. Thanks.

2. memory

memory AllStar

Nov 11, 2006

If you just had standard service then I would think you would need a dish upgrade to the slimline 5 or slimeline 3

3. huskernut

huskernut New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Actually, before I had both standard and HD service, and now I'm going to HD only. On the side of my house I have both a standard dish and a slimline dish, I believe the slimline dish is a 3 LNB setup but I'm not at home right now to double check...

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Your new receiver must be hooked to the Slimline as well. It cannot work with the old dish where I suspect your SD receiver was attached.

Edit: The HR will work with the old dish but not receive any of the new HD channels.

5. huskernut

huskernut New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    How would I go about correcting this? Is it a connection that needs to be changed outside the house?

Sorry for being such a noob, but all of this is pretty new to me. Thanks for the help.

6. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    At present you likely have one coax coming from the Slimline dish (this feeds the H21) and one coax coming from the smaller (old) dish (goes to the SD receiver). You need to run two coaxes from the new dish to the new receiver to get full functionality of the HD DVR. Unless the original install wired out the four connections from the Slimline, you will need to remove the feedhorn assembly from the Slimline dish to attach the new coaxes. There are two screws that hold the assembly in place. Remove those and gently move the assembly away from the support arm. Route your new cables and attach to vacant connectors on the feedhorn (you may want to add the fourth cable at this time so you don't have to go through this process again with another addition). Once the coaxes are attached to the feedhorn, slide the assembly into place and reattach with the earlier removed screws. Route the new coaxes to the bbc's and then to your new receiver. All should be good!

7. huskernut

huskernut New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Ok, thanks for the reply. To clarify, the new reciever is just an H21 HD reciever, no DVR so I think I just need to run one coax to it.

Theoretically, if I go outside my house to where the two dishes are and take a look, should I not be able to just grab the coax headed to the small non-hd dish (that used to feed the old reciever) and hook it up to the slimline, assuming an open slot is available? This should then connect the new HD reciever to the slimline dish.

I'll take a look at all of this tonight when I get off work, and then post again once I've looked at my options and what I've got. Thanks again for all your help.

8. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    If the new receiver is a H-xx and not an HR-xx, then, yes, only one coax is required and you can use the coax presently going to the old dish.

9. huskernut

huskernut New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Ok, so I went outside today after work and I have the two dishes, the slimline has 4 cables running from it and the standard dish has one. These five cables head to a router/splitter, which is literally on the side of my house. The output from this same router has 6 cables, which all then run into my house.

Any advice on what I need to do to fix my no HD channels / locals issue, given this information?

10. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    couple of things, Why 2 dishes? What type of switch is installed? If you have a slimline you should have it set this way, Dish--->4 cables---->switch (WB68)---> total output from switch will be 8. Hope that helps.

If the output on your switch only has 6, you have the wrong switch installed. The slimline is only compatible with WB68 or WB616.

I'd bet that is the issue.

You don't need that 18" dish for your setup now. You actually don't need a switch unless you need more than 4 tuners. Based on the info you provided, you only have a need for 3 tuners so the 4 outputs provided by the slimline is all you need.

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The Lincoln DMA was a dual dish market, thats why the OP has a slimline and a 18" dish.

For the OP, make sure of two things.

1st make sure you have the BBC attached to the H21.

2nd, go back through the sat setup and select Slimline-5 and set the 72.5 dish to installed. (Locals are now on both 72.5 and 99/103 so you can ignore the 72.5 if you wish).

12. huskernut

huskernut New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    FYI the switch is a Zinwell WB68, I went outside and checked this morning.

When I attempted to go and change the satellite type to the slimline-5 and add the 72.5 dish as installed, I got as far as the screen where it checks the signal strength, but then it locked up on me and wouldn't allow me to go any further. Tried this a couple more times and still, locks up everytime. I tried it without installing the 72.5 dish, and still, locks up...

13. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    When I woke up this morning I thought that is why he might have needed the 2 dishes. Thanks for the clarification.

As far as the problem, since it locks up sounds like you might have a bad receiver??? have you forced a software update for it? Could that help him??

14. huskernut

huskernut New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Good news folks.

I changed the satellite to Slimline-3, re-ran the setup and eureka - HD channels, locals, the whole bottle of wax. It appears everything is setup and ready to rock.

Thanks again for all your help - it saved me a wasted $80 service call from a DirecTV tech.

The main thing that upsets me about this whole ordeal is that in the 30+ minutes I was on the phone with DTV, they never once suggested the satellite settings may be the culprit, and this is after the tech rep said she had "exhausted" all resources and needed to send a tech out. Frustrating.

15. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    disreguard post deleted