1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H21-200 Oddity... From Space

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dirtyblueshirt, Nov 30, 2011.

1. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    So here's an interesting thing, I don't know if this is an indication of the receiver failing or just a fluke.

I have an H21-200 in the bedroom siting alone, hooked up but essentially idle as I've had an HR22 there for other reasons the past several months. The other day I noticed the light was at 480p (I have no idea how long it'd been like that) so I switched to it. The receiver was stuck at the "Running receiver self-check" screen and no rebooting could progress it beyond that. Running a diagnostic went fine until the part where it checks the filesystem on the flash memory at which it would reboot automatically.

I forced the box to download, which it did (the installed version listed 0x44c4 and it went to download 0x44c5). After that, it booted normally but actually required me to re-send the activation signal.

Any idea if this was a fluke, or an indication of more?

How long will a receiver be uncommunicable before I have to re-send activation? (not that it's a concern, as it's just a couple seconds away to do it online)

I've had this H21 since early 2009.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it's just a couple days that that the receiver has to be off the grid, although it's hard to tell because you don't know when the last time it communicated was.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You said it was hooked up, right? So it was connected to power and it was connected to a dish. That should not have caused the problem.

4. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    If the receiver is inactive for more than about 3 weeks it will give you OSD 722. The software thing was a bit odd though. The H21-200 did have a known issue a couple months back with lockup on the boot screen.

5. Dec 1, 2011 #5 of 11
    dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    It was hooked up, but if it was stuck on the self-check screen, it wouldn't be polling the satellite, as far as I know. No biggie at this point it seems, since a re-download of the firmware and re-auth fixed the immediate issue.

6. Dec 2, 2011 #6 of 11
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    But why are they even worried about idle receivers? That is not a security issue and it is not an overhead issue. Maybe it is to keep apartment complexes from building their own headends without an MDU contract. It seems that instead of fine-tuning things that no one really cares about they could instead be directing their efforts towards features or to making the OS more stable and reliable, not to even mention faster.

7. Dec 2, 2011 #7 of 11
    dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    By inactive, I'm referring to being non-communicable to the satellite, i.e. unplugged, or in this case, frozen at the self-check.

8. Dec 3, 2011 #8 of 11
    dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Upon further action, the receiver may in fact have gone south. This morning I received a 771 Searching for signal message on the screen. I made sure the connections were snug, and none of the other receivers had signal issues. After that, I tried another receiver on the same outlet, which had no issues.

Oh well, good thing I have the protection plan. Called and scheduled a visit for Monday Noon-4pm

9. Dec 5, 2011 #9 of 11
    dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    The installer is here hooking up a nice refurbished H24-200.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by dirtyblueshirt, on Flickr

- Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using DBSTalk for Android.

10. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    im sure he appreciate his picture posted in this forum for everyone to see...

11. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Sarcasm much? The install went well and everything went properly.

Edit: I fixed the picture so you can sleep at night. :rolleyes: