1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H21-200 Reciever not connected to MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bwickstrom, Nov 17, 2011.

1. bwickstrom

bwickstrom New Member

May 24, 2011
    Hi all,

Today I recieved a H21-200 reciever as an upgrade unit for one of my non-HD recievers (D12-500). I called and complained that I got a 4 year old box and the first guy I talked to told me I could not request a specific model. The second guy told me that to be environmentaly concious, they are using the old cases and putting all new hardware inside them. I think this is a bold faced lie. This box (H21-200) will not connect to my MRV. He said I need a DECA unit and is going to send me one in the mail. I have a H24-100 in another room and a H24-700 both without DECAs that are on the network. What do you think? Must I have the DECA? Should I post a drawing of my current setup?

Another queustion (unrealed) the last time a tech. came to my house to try to set up MRV (which he failed at) he disconnected all but one line from the dish to the SWIM 8 switch. Previously I had 4 lines from the dish going into a 4x8 switch. Is this ok? It seems to be working (except for the new problem above).

Thank you in advance

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    :welcome_s

Unfortunately, DirecTV recycles refurbished units. We'd all like to have new units, but that isn't their business model. This is the first I've heard where they "gut" the interiors; I would think that would be based on the condition of the unit. I've received a couple of refurbished units. One looked like someone took a screw driver to the rear of the case. But I've had one of these units for 3 years now and it works great. Not that it will change what they send you, but how much did you pay for this receiver?

Yes, you need a DECA. The 24's have an internal DECA. When I needed a DECA, they FEDEX'd it to me so I had it the next day.

I can't answer your question about the wiring. But I know you'll get responses later today.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sounds like that tech replaced your dish LNB with a Single Wire Multiswitch LNB, so now there's only one coax cable from the dish to your 8-way SWM splitter. Yes, this is just fine.

4. bwickstrom

bwickstrom New Member

May 24, 2011
    trh,

Thanks, at least I know i'm not alone! So the "gutting" comment was false because if it did have "brand new hardware inside the old shell" I would not need the external DECA. I knew he was full of crap. When I opened the box, there was a sheet of paper right on top that said something to the effect "you will need to install the enclosed b-band filter for HD reception in 1997"!

After some haggling I got the H21-200 for free with free shipping, but with a new 24 month commitment. That was one of my arguments to them yesterday - your sticking me with a potential $480 cost for a 4 year old box. (24 months x $20 penalty per month if you cancel early). I asked if I could get a reduction in the time commitment or a new box and was told no to both!

They are sending me the DECA but said it would be 2-5 days.

5. bwickstrom

bwickstrom New Member

May 24, 2011
    litzdog911,

Thank you for the conformation that my install is correct. Do you know why the site says "you do not have permission to access this page" whenever I click on someone's link like yours that says "additional equipment configuration details"? I would like to be able to view other peoples set-ups.

Thank you.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I think you need to join the Cutting Edge (CE) Forum here to view those configurations.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Could have been hyberbole! :p Perhaps it has a new HD and a new power supply, replaced connectors. But it wouldn't be modified to put in DECA; it could be at least partly new parts and not be an outright lie.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    "Gutting" is probably extreme. When a receiver comes in from the field, ideally it is inspected and tested, with all parts that fail and all exterior pieces that don't meet DIRECTV's standards replaced.

Given the overall quality of the receivers, to paraphrase Blue Oyster Cult, "Don't Fear the Refurb." It may not be as tiny as an H25, but it will still work great.